+ Reply to Thread

Thread: advice on cleaning 20 year-old amp

Default advice on cleaning 20 year-old amp

Hello,

I 'm trying to clean up an old Marantz pm-50 in my attempt to build a decent system on the cheap. It works OK, but I feel that after spraying some de-oxydation fluid around it might get better. The phono ins (which according to this Gramophone review are the amps best inputs) produce awful cracking and noise, while the cd ins are pretty clean.

Anyway, any advice on how to clean or what simple things might be worth replacing?

ps. I'm not sure this is the best place for this thread, so mods, feel free to move it...
    Patrick

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Foam cleanser on the casework. Servisol (switch-cleaner with lubricant) for controls. For sockets, I'd carefully insert and withdraw the plugs a few times (oo-er missus)..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by pabbab View Post
    Hello,

I 'm trying to clean up an old Marantz pm-50 in my attempt to build a decent system on the cheap. It works OK, but I feel that after spraying some de-oxydation fluid around it might get better. The phono ins (which according to this Gramophone review are the amps best inputs) produce awful cracking and noise, while the cd ins are pretty clean.

Anyway, any advice on how to clean or what simple things might be worth replacing?

ps. I'm not sure this is the best place for this thread, so mods, feel free to move it...
    Here is fine.

I would use Iso prop to clean the metal work, RCA plugs etc. However clear Tesco's Anti Bacterial surface cleaner applied via cotton puds (very little fluid ring it out just damp and no more) is what I use or you can use a touch of fairy liquid in water and apply via a cotton wool pad rung out to be only slightly damp. Clean with unit un-plugged from the mains and remember liquid can go places you would not expect so all cleaning must be done with the cleaning bud/pad just damp and no more. Keep unit up right while cleaning fascia have dry cotton wool or paper kitchen towels/toilet roll to hand to mop up any excess. This works for me.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Thanks for the advice.
    Patrick

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'd be wary of spraying anything on volume pots etc. unless you are sure they are not internally lubricated with any type of grease.The cleaner would remove the grease.

I'm Paul.

Hi,

IMHO

Use something like T Cut, Wire Wool, Brass Wire Brush on the outside of the phono sockets. Don't forget you have to clean inside as well. Polishing only the outside of phono sockets is about as useful as polishing a turd. For the inside you need a pipe cleaner dipped in an Electrical Cleaner, switch cleaner or similar. Similar again for the Speaker Terminals.

It might be a good idea to open it up and see if there are any internal connectors. Its always worth cleaning the contacts on these.

For pots once they start crackling you really need to replace them.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread