+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exposure 1010 vs Rega Brio R

I'm Nick.

Default Exposure 1010 vs Rega Brio R

Hello AOS,

My 1st post here (after the obligatory welcome sign-in), would appreciate some advice please.

I'm currently looking at the acquisition of a decent budget amp to go with an oldie, but goodie Pioneer PD-S801 and driving Ruark Talisman ll speakers. Have been doing a bit of swotting and the Exp 1010 and Rega are definite shortlist amps. Haven't really seen any info on how they compare to each other, on one hand there is the smoothness and slight roll-off of the 801 and the lively Ruarks and would ideally like a sound that is reasonably lush but detailed. Would I be looking for something neutral in character to achieve that ?

£500 is the budget and don't mind used versions of either, although the 1010 seems a rare find and might be able to go to 2010S2 on the used market. Both amps are well regarded and I can get a demo of both at Doug Brady. I briefly owned the Brio R some years ago but speakers at the time weren't in the same league as the Ruarks.

Any thoughts on comparison with these 2 amps appreciated and any alternatives, not really looking at the likes of Arcam, NAD, Marantz etc.

Thanks

I'm Geoff.

£500 might get you a decent used Sugden A21a or Creek Destiny. Check the reviews out on these. They are good amps.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    £500 might get you a decent used Sugden A21a or Creek Destiny. Check the reviews out on these. They are good amps.
    Good shout. Hadn't really considered Sugden's valviness.

I'm Nick.

A bit leftfield from my original post but what about passive pre-amp and controlling my Linn LK140 ? I have no experience of passive amps, I'm sure it will function as intended but is the LK140 good enough ?

I used to be indecisive......

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    A bit leftfield from my original post but what about passive pre-amp and controlling my Linn LK140 ? I have no experience of passive amps, I'm sure it will function as intended but is the LK140 good enough ?

I used to be indecisive......
    I doubt you'd gain much from that arrangement. Basically, you'd just be putting another hurdle in the way of the signal. The simpler the better is the way wherever possible. Many passive pre-amps are not very rewarding to use.

The Sugden is not 'valvey'. It is clean and lucid, as a good Class A solid state amp should be. It's a pretty refined sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I doubt you'd gain much from that arrangement. Basically, you'd just be putting another hurdle in the way of the signal. The simpler the better is the way wherever possible. Many passive pre-amps are not very rewarding to use.

The Sugden is not 'valvey'. It is clean and lucid, as a good Class A solid state amp should be. It's a pretty refined sound.
    Understood, will abandon the pre idea.

I'm Shane.

Saying that the A21a is as close you can get to a valve, is plain bullshit IMO.

The A21a is a very much solid state sounding. It is a clean, ''sharp'' and focused sounding type of class A amp. Match it wrong and the suggie will tell you about it!!

But that doesn't mean the Sugden is a harsh/spitty sounding amp though.

IMO, the A21a series II is better. Thanks to a bigger power supply. The bass is fleshed out more. These can be bought second for around £780-950 from time to time.

S.

I'm Neil.

I wouldn't go for either amp at this budget.

I'd go for something like a Sony TA-F670ES or TA-F770ES. £500 is a very sensitive budget; you can get a dog, or get a fabulous amp. Yes it's the same at any budget, but £500 is a 'sweet spot' IMHO (second-hand) with diminishing returns kicking in hard after for 99% of amps.

Am not convinced that either a Brio R or 1010 would be a substantial upgrade from what you have. In anycase, if you're looking at an Exposure 1010, then you should also be looking at second hand Exposure 2010 or XV if you wanted to use Exposure.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Grant.

As above there are lots of big Sony amps around for that money and mostly a fair bit less. They are pretty good too. Even the sony ta fb940 qs is pretty good far less the 770es which was there top integrated i think.. Ive a 940 and its a nice amp...even has full remote
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Saying that the A21a is as close you can get to a valve, is plain bullshit IMO.

The A21a is a very much solid state sounding. It is a clean, ''sharp'' and focused sounding type of class A amp. Match it wrong and the suggie will tell you about it!!

But that doesn't mean the Sugden is a harsh/spitty sounding amp though.

IMO, the A21a series II is better. Thanks to a bigger power supply. The bass is fleshed out more. These can be bought second for around £780-950 from time to time.

S.
    Shane, please excuse my ignorance with regard to the assumption that Class A operation involved valves. I have most probably formed this incorrect fact based around my Laney guitar amp with valve output stage, I therefore stand corrected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast