+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A visit from the boys

I'm Steve.

You're welcome guys. Glad you enjoyed the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky View Post
    Great listening sesh at Steves gaff got to listen to some superb music new to me big big train now checking them out also got to hear Steves superb heco statement speakers German I think.The music sounded so big and expansive through the heco's sublime the trip most deffo was worth it plus we had a great chat about music fantastic day was had by all cheers Steve.

I'm Alan.

Lets have a picture of those Heco speakers Steve, and what do you think of them?

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Steve.

Ok Alan, as requested....

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    Lets have a picture of those Heco speakers Steve, and what do you think of them?

Alan
    One of the best pair of speakers i have owned. Even handed and musical. Beautifully engineered. Come and have a listen Al.
    Last edited by Floyddroid; 25-04-2016 at 21:02.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Is that your room, Steve? Looks different from before....

Nice acquisition, in terms of the Hecos. I've heard those before and enjoyed them immensely. We used them as part of the AoS system (kindly donated for the day by Guy Sergeant) at the first ever Scalford show.

If I remember correctly, there's something special about the midrange drivers, but forget what?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

I also owned that model of Heco speakers. Fantastic midrange and all round balance, IMO these should sell for a lot more .
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

Hi James,

Did they use paper drivers in the midrange or something? There was defo something special about the mid drivers, I'm sure.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Hi Marco

Yes indeed, i have changed room. I have set up a little den in our back room. The feature to wish you refer is the ability to physically change the links at the rear of the speakers to emphasise and de-emphasise mid range frequencies. Very useful feature. I'm very happy with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi James,

Did they use paper drivers in the midrange or something? There was defo something special about the mid drivers, I'm sure.

Marco.

Hi Steve,

Nice one, mate. Sometimes small rooms are better for hi-fi systems, as they can create less problems

I like the look of that room and the cosy and relaxed vibe you've got going on... I'm sure that the Hecos use paper drivers for the midrange, or something like that. There was defo something more to them, in terms of their construction, than simply the adjustable links.

Are you bringing them to NEBO? Would love to hear them again...

Marco.
    Main System

They use Alnico magnets, that's it! See here: http://www.heco-audio.de/en/downloads/the-new-statement

Anything that uses Alnico, IME, sounds special

Marco.
    Main System

Just found a pic of the system we demo'd at Scalford in 2008, a couple of months after the birth of AoS, showing the Hecos, my Techy (in a rather less modified state), Croft preamp, Sony DAC and Copper amp, and Steve Toy's (then) Bel Canto CD transport. Sounded superb!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast