+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hana SL Vs AT33PTG/II

I'm Kevin.

Default Hana SL Vs AT33PTG/II

It's getting closer to new cartridge time.

Being a fan of the AT150MLX I have, I was wondering if anybody has had a chance to listen to both the AT33PTG/II and the Hana SL?
    If so, what are your opinions?

I know cartridges are a personal taste thing, but I have read good things about the AT and the Hana. The AT can be had for about £100 less as well (if you shop around), which is always a consideration.
    That is a saving of about half of a Denon 301 mk2.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Bob.

Of the Hana I can tell you nothing. But I can share a view on the AT33PTG/II.

I'm currently using one and it's gradually caused me to change my opinion of AT cartridges, to the point where it's now a permanent resident in my arm and the SAE 1000LT now lives carefully tucked away in a drawer - and I never thought that would happen.

It does require careful set up though to get the best from it and you do need to put some some hours on the cart before it starts to give of it's best (where've we heard that before?). Fine adjustment of the anti skate allowing the stylus to "float" centrally in the groove really paid off - something I'd previously scoffed at. Oh, and partnering kit plays a huge part in whether this works for you or not.

My 33 is now sweet and insightful and exhibits NONE of the nasty traits sometimes levelled at AT MC cartridges: in particular no sibilence or spitty over bright treble. Bass is taught, clean and well controlled rather than just a mass of low end power. Perfect? No. If I had a mix of some of the SAE's bottom end and the AT's top it just might be: overall I think I'm trading boogie for accuracy - both enjoyable traits when the time is right but as mentioned it's the AT33PTG/II that stays in situ now. I also found it to be quite an improvement on the ATOC9/II from the same manufacturer.

Buying cartridges is absolute agony. You can't really tell until you get it home, in your room with your kit and after you've sat listening for as few days. I doubt this is the last cartridge I'll ever buy but if future adventures turn out to be duds I'll be quite happy to go back to the 33.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Kevin.

Thanks Bob.
    As an SAE1000LT owner, that is most helpful.
    A very useful comparison for me.
    Kevin

I'm Neal.

I can only echo Bobs words. It takes very careful setup and 20+hrs running before it settles. I found loading critical as well at first but this seems to become less of an issue after it's run in. This is not a colourful cartridge, its neutral in presentation and quite revealing and may take you some time to adjust to the presentation, It tracks superbly as well...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Kevin.

I have ordered an AT33PTG/II

My first proper MC.
    I have read in several places that the Hana SL presentation was a similar style to a 2M Black.
    Before I buy one, I would like to hear it first.
    Kevin

I'm James.

The AT33PTG/11 was on my list as well Kevin so will be interested to know how you get on with it.

If you have any budget left you could always try a Denon 301 mk2 - you may be surprised.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If you have any budget left you could always try a Denon 301 mk2 - you may be surprised.
    That is the plan
    Kevin

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I have ordered an AT33PTG/II
    In which case Kevin, I would be very interested to see what you make of it.

The 20+ hours mentioned by Neal (NRG) has the emphasis very much on the +. For me it was sounding pretty good at this point but didn't go truly sweet until at least 50. Now whether this was down to my persevering (fiddling) with the set up or just becoming more familiar with it or indeed something else changing I'm not sure.

But as we both have a common reference with the SAE I shall be interested in your perceptions if you care to share them.

Bob

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm Kevin.

No problem Bob. I am happy to share my findings.
    The set up on my arm should be relatively easy to tweak. I have on the fly VTA.
    It's also much easier since I bought the Feickert Protractor NG to get the cartridge set up accurately.

I still have a feeling that much fiddling will be involved.
    Kevin

I'm Bob.

Excellent.

Looks like you may be able to bring a degree of science and accuracy to what is otherwise a very intuitive process, especially doing real time VTA adjustment. Forgot to mention it was the VTA in the end that I think made the biggest difference.

Sounds like you'll get there faster than I did.

This is what made me start to take the subject a bit more seriously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQDa7suJn64

It's a bit long winded but Michael Fremer certainly knows his stuff and you can wizz through it and cherry pick. Record cutting and VTA comes in around 38 minutes.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast