+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible issue with some Wharfedale W4 Loudspeakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Guys been offered a pair of these local for a sensible price i may have to wait to payday for they seen very good value to add to the collection...

Watch this space...
    I'd not pay a fortune for those Dan. You'll find the sound somewhat 'vintage' and the power handling will not be great, but that is offset to an extent by the high efficiency.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd not pay a fortune for those Dan. You'll find the sound somewhat 'vintage' and the power handling will not be great, but that is offset to an extent by the high efficiency.
    Their £100 - Maybe worth a try....
    Amplifier & Graphic EQ
    Kenwood A65 with GE 850 Graphic EQ
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Wharfedale Diamond 9.0

I'm Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Please see my news blog for detailed information,

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...982#post745982

Basically, rare as these speakers are, some left the Wharfedale factory incorrectly wired and using the wrong value for components. If any of you out there use these speakers or know anyone lucky enough to have a pair, please have them contact me and I will provide FOC the correct circuit and circuit values (for those with the 15 Ohm drive units) in order for you to both check and amend circuit values as appropriate.

Issues include L-pad switches incorrectly wired, HF circuit incorrectly wired, wrong values for HF capacitors, wrong LF inductors.

In all the years I've been doing this, I have never come across a more incompetently and badly wired up loudspeaker. Please note, this could well apply to other similar vintage loudspeakers so best check if in doubt.
    Hi! I just picked up a pair of Wharfedale W-4s and the drivers all work fine, but I'd love to know if they have the correct component values and they are correctly wired. Thanks!!!

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by engie68 View Post
    Hi! I just picked up a pair of Wharfedale W-4s and the drivers all work fine, but I'd love to know if they have the correct component values and they are correctly wired. Thanks!!!
    Hi Jeff

Paul at RFC hasn't posted on AOS for a while.
    You'll probably be better off contacting him directly via his website - http://www.referencefidelitycomponents.co.uk/

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Whoever built them should be fired
    That would be interesting, given that 50 odd years have passed since they were built. At best that person would be long since retired or at worst pushing up the daisies. If so, dig him/her up Grant and give him/her a piece of your mind LOL
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Jeff.

Thanks Jerry!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12