+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible issue with some Wharfedale W4 Loudspeakers

I'm Paul.

Default Possible issue with some Wharfedale W4 Loudspeakers

Please see my news blog for detailed information,

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...982#post745982

Basically, rare as these speakers are, some left the Wharfedale factory incorrectly wired and using the wrong value for components. If any of you out there use these speakers or know anyone lucky enough to have a pair, please have them contact me and I will provide FOC the correct circuit and circuit values (for those with the 15 Ohm drive units) in order for you to both check and amend circuit values as appropriate.

Issues include L-pad switches incorrectly wired, HF circuit incorrectly wired, wrong values for HF capacitors, wrong LF inductors.

In all the years I've been doing this, I have never come across a more incompetently and badly wired up loudspeaker. Please note, this could well apply to other similar vintage loudspeakers so best check if in doubt.

I'm gone.

Do you think they came from the factory like this, Paul, or have botched repair jobs been done on them over the years?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Do you think they came from the factory like this, Paul, or have botched repair jobs been done on them over the years?
    Rather surprisingly Jerry, I know that this particular pair came straight from the factory like this. The present owner bought them new some 52 years ago and has owned them ever since. He has never had them apart. He told me that he bought a pair new from a dealer and one had a damaged veneer so the dealer replaced it with another from the factory, albeit with a slightly different rear panel. It wasn't unusual to buy cabinets singly back then for mono use and sometimes there were variations in cabinets and rear panels with these (some had a stereo jack input as well as binding posts).

Upon checking the crossover, I found one had completely the wrong inductor for the bass which as a consequence had been running full range. The variable potentiometer L-pads were all incorrectly wired so that in effect they didn't work at all and the tweeters weren't connected to the positive input rail at all!

The owner complained that they sounded a bit dull and muddled, that the switch position made no difference to sounds and that HF wasn't great but that he valued them for a lively midrange! This was how he had been listening for 52 years. I am repairing them FOC for my time for him. This doesn't make up for the fact he's not benefited from hearing them as Gilbert Briggs intended but in the circumstances, the elderly gent in question deserves to have them back sounding as they ought to at minimal cost to himself.

I'm gone.

Amazing. And depressing.

Be interesting to hear the owner's reaction when he gets them back.

I'm Martin.

Bit gutting to find out you've not been getting the best from your speakers for 52 years!

I think there's a few on Audiokarma who have W4s.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Bit gutting to find out you've not been getting the best from your speakers for 52 years!

I think there's a few on Audiokarma who have W4s.
    The gent in question wasn't at all surprised to learn what he did Martin as he always suspected that something was not quite right. If any W4 owners on Audiokarma want to contact me via my website or via an AoS or PFM member known to them, I'll point them in the right direction if they're at all concerned.

I'm Grant.

Whoever built them should be fired

Nice of you to do it foc Paul
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

That's a nice and generous resolution to the chap's problem.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    The gent in question wasn't at all surprised to learn what he did Martin as he always suspected that something was not quite right. If any W4 owners on Audiokarma want to contact me via my website or via an AoS or PFM member known to them, I'll point them in the right direction if they're at all concerned.
    I'll mention it next time I am on there, Paul.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dan.

Guys been offered a pair of these local for a sensible price i may have to wait to payday for they seen very good value to add to the collection...

Watch this space...
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast