+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SME-mount compatibility/conversion advice

I'm Nick.

Default SME-mount compatibility/conversion advice

Hello,

I've got a lot of 78s which I'm keen to listen to and transfer (not all, some).

I have an existing LP replay / dubbing setup but that turntable has 78 rpm without varispeed, so I can't play the many earlier 78s nominally recorded at 80 rpm (not to mention what the *actual* speeds achieved might have been...).

On the advice of a collector friend, I recently bought a Strathclyde STD 305D, which has varispeed and a numerical speed display. It also has a cut-out for an SME arm.

Unfortunately, the separate SME 3009 which the seller also sold me had been bodged by him - wrong connector can, so the arm didn't fit in the turntable chassis, and rewired so the 'detachable' headshell was now fixed! (He took it back.)

I'm looking at second-hand 3009s on the bay (I've missed a few bargs, foolishly) but I also see people saying 3009s are now over-priced because of their cult status, and quite a few recommendations Jelco arms.

Would I really benefit from buying a more modern arm? And how would I fit a Jelco (ar anything else) onto the STD 305D? (It's also too small for a 12" arm, but I won't be playing bigger discs.)

(I have three cartridges I could use - Ortofon OM body with several styli, which I could get retipped for 78s; VMS V15 III, but I don't think I've got any spare styli; Stanton 680 Mk II, no syli. Also have three spare Technics headshells.)

(Haven't decided what pre-amp to use yet - my friend recommends the Graham Slee Jazz Club.)

Any thoughts, dos, don'ts etc. will be gratefully received!

Thanks a lot,

Nick

I'm Ralph.

If it was me I'd cut a piece of aluminium to cover the SME oblong hole and I'd stick an early Rega RB250 or 300 in there. A second hand AudioMods Rega would be even better. I believe the arm is set in a recess in the STD so you need to make sure it has freedom of movement.
    Ralph.

I'm Geoff.

Good suggestion. It's not hard to do if you're a bit handy.

I like brass myself, but aluminium is fine. I've also used Tufnol sheet in the past.

As for an arm, you could consider the Linn LV-V 'Jonboy' has just listed in Private Exhibitions. They are actually pretty decent and will work very well with low compliance cartridges. That one has the useful ADC headshell included. You can find a Linn arm template online and print it off. I'd sooner have the LV-V than a Rega. It's more versatile.

I've used Regas. They've gone, but an LV-V remains in my collection.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nick.

Hi,

Thank you both very much indeed for your suggestions - I'll look into them. Heard of the Rega arm (I've got a Basik somewhere) but not the Linn.

I'm not handy, I must admit, but I might know a man who is!

Yes, there is a recess for the arm mount but on the Strathclyde there's also a 1 cm raised plinthy thing for the SME arm - can't work out if its been added was built in (no obvious fastening I can see). Maybe it's glued?

All the best,

Nick

I'm Anthony.

You could simply use a Jasmine SME2R10 Smart Tonearm Adapter - different diameters available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jasmine-SME2...3D131611650123
    My system:

Kenwood KD600/ Alphason HR100S MCS/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk3 or Technics SL1210/ KAB bearing mod/KAB TD1200 fluid damper/Sumiko HS12 headshell/ Audio Technica ATOC9Mk2

Icon Audio PS3Mk2 phono stage (or Primare R32 phono stage plus Beyerdynamic SUT), KAB RF-1 rumble filter, Icon audio LA4 Mk3 preamp, Icon Audio MB90Mk2m mono blocks, Solid Tech Rack of Silence 4, Tannoy Glenair 10 speakers, Nordost Leif series Red dawn and Blue heaven interconnects, Neotech 3002 speaker cables

I'm Hugo.

Be aware that this particular adapter combination is very tall, and that could result in a VTA problem with decks having very lowline platters, such as the STD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ants View Post
    You could simply use a Jasmine SME2R10 Smart Tonearm Adapter - different diameters available:

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ants View Post

Thanks so much - I've never heard of these, so that's a great help.

Best wishes,

Nick

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Be aware that this particular adapter combination is very tall, and that could result in a VTA problem with decks having very lowline platters, such as the STD.
    Aha, OK - thanks for that warning. You're right, there's only about 25mm clearance between the top of the Strathclyde's (built-in?) plinth-like arm mount and the top of the mat.

I'm not sure what to do with the Strathclyde anyway, now. A couple of days ago, I finally got round to testing the speeds, as displayed on the numerical display, against a tachometer, and they're way out.

So I'm a bit stuck...

Nick

+ Reply to Thread