+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My Constant State of Change System...

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Brings back memories of listening to the latest 7" single in a booth, in NEMS store, Liverpool, 1960s ( run by Brian Epstein of Beatle manager fame!)
    O.K., I'm teasing....it's not THAT small! My own system has been described as 'like having huge headphones' (!!) which I had thought meant the QUALITY!.
    Maybe double-edged, as head-to-speaker distance is only 8 feet/250 cms!

I'd have your Oppo; would remove two pieces, as long as the dac wasn't a step back from my Havana (modded!). Always liked the idea of a Carver, but I only need a few watts these days-always did- I ran Klipschorns for years.
    LOL! Yeah, I'm about 6 ft away from my speakers, and they're about 6 ft apart. Near-field listening which is probably why this room doesn't sound so bad. I'm so close to the speakers, their direct sound overpowers the 2nd and 3rd reflections in the room.

If the Havana you're referring to is the MHDT Labs unit, I'm sure it's better than the Oppo, just because it's a dedicated DAC with tubes. The Oppo is good though. I think I mentioned it before, it replaced a fully upgraded Schiit Bifrost.

I just swapped out speakers again a few minutes ago, and as with the Sony speakers, these too are rated at 90 dB @ 1 watt, so I really have no need for 390+ watts per channel. But I have it, and it sounds great. You can't go wrong with plenty of amplifier headroom.

I'll post up pics soon of the "new" speakers... Which I have used before, several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Liffy99 View Post
    Can that DBX function as a multi- input preamp (digital only) ?
    How would you connect an RCA SPDIF output to an AES input ?
    The dbx only has one set of inputs, so no multi-inputs. And as far as I can tell, there's no way to use it as a preamp. As for SPDIF to AES, don't know.
    Preamp | Amplifier: Pass Labs XP-20 | Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks
    Analogue Sources: Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2
    DAC | Digital Sources: Auralic Altair G1 | JVC XL-Z411
    Speakers | Subwoofers: Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2
    Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio | Monster HTS 5000
    Cables: Wireworld | Pangea Audio | AudioQuest

I'm Charles.

Now running a pair of mint Monitor Audio Bronze BX6 towers on my custom quartz slabs...

I'm Charles.

I'm Charles.

As has been the apparent theme of this thread, it has been a couple of years since being on here updating the system and such. I think that maybe my lack of activity on this forum is probably due to the "lack of activity" on this forum.

Anyway, here's the latest as it sits right now. All of the gear is listed in my signature below...

I'm Rob.

I think that maybe my lack of activity on this forum is probably due to the "lack of activity" on this forum.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

Love those tape decks.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Damn right - that 582 is one of the nicest I've seen, just gorgeous! The JVC's sexy too, with those iconic VU metres!

Major respect, Charles... I also love the look of your living space

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

The Nakamichi 582, a lovely example. I bought one in 1979 from HATV in Christchurch for £499. Sold many years ago now. I should, of course, kept it. 🙂
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I think that maybe my lack of activity on this forum is probably due to the "lack of activity" on this forum.
    I was awake for over 38 hours straight when I wrote that, which is why I worded it wrong. I meant to say that my thread lacked activity due to some recent events, new (to us) house, new (to me) car that I've been devoting some time and money to, family stuff that's been going on, and a new career, not that the forum lacked activity. Things have been a little frantic the past couple of years... In a good way for the most part.

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Love those tape decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Damn right - that 582 is one of the nicest I've seen, just gorgeous! The JVC's sexy too, with those iconic VU metres!

Major respect, Charles... I also love the look of your living space

Marco.
    Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    The Nakamichi 582, a lovely example. I bought one in 1979 from HATV in Christchurch for £499. Sold many years ago now. I should, of course, kept it. 🙂
    Thanks guys. It's taken some time acquiring some of these decks, and for various reasons. Apparently, my father bought a 582 new back in '79 along with the KD-A8, but kept the KD-A8 and traded the 582 back a month later for the first of two Nak 680ZX decks. So eventually, he had the KD-A8 and two 680ZX decks in his rig, which I do remember, even though I was only a wee little kid at the time.

The DR-1 was purchased new back in the day by my oldest brother. And the Yamaha I purchased used a couple years ago because I wanted to try out a deck with dbx NR in it plus these were known to be pretty darn good decks. It's a great looking, beefy deck as well.

Marco, here's a better and a little closer pic of those VU meters. I have to agree, that JVC is a damn fine looking deck, one of the best look decks ever as far as I'm concerned.

And one more of the 582 for good measure...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast