+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: room acoustics and treatment

I'm jamie.

Default room acoustics and treatment

well its a sunday and after doing the housework i thought id have a play with strategically placed pillows and sheets,quite interesting results,i found that by placing pillows in the corners behind speakers and removing the large mirror i have up on the back wall and hanging a sheet up had a noticeable effect on the bass notes,they became clearer and i hear the bass guitar more,it sounded rather natural.
    my room has got an echo right in the corners above the speakers too so i think i need to sort this.

so this has got me interested in room acoustics and bass traps etc,has anyone else had a play or has done it properly with foam etc?
    id be interested to hear what you've done and the improvements it made.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

I don't think you can affect bass frequencies with pillows and sheets so possibly what has happened is you've killed some reflections higher up the frequency range that were masking the direct sound a bit, with the subjective effect of tightening the bass.

I'd like to get some of that pyramid stick-on stuff for the side walls, like they have in the studios. Don't really think I need it but it looks really cool.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Marc.

There's a good and comprehensive primer here: http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Commercial products are quite expensive (once you know what's in them), you'll want a nice spread of bass trapping, mid-band absorption and high frequency diffusion. The 'ideal' room has both an even modal frequency response and a steady RT60 decay time across the audio spectrum (ie no frequencies ring on for longer than any others).

It's amazing what some simple damping, a couple of panel traps and some corner traps will do for you, if you're even just moderately crafty they're very easy to build and if you're a bit more capable (and can do the maths to work out what you need) then you can also build tuned membrane traps for specific problem frequencies.

Edit: The foam stuff is good for taming early reflections and HF damping, but it lacks the mass to do anything useful lower down the frequency range - for that you need a bunch of rockwool or some tuned traps (probably with a bunch of rockwool in them).

I'm James.

Ethanwiner is very good but if you want to see/hear what can be done with room acoustics you need to contact Steve at Sonority Design, he has taken room acoustics to an amazing level.
    http://www.sonoritydesign.co.uk
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Michael.

For a meer $89.00 US, I purchased 6 - 2' X 4' Owens Corning 703 insulation panels. I tucked one behind each speaker, one right and left at the first reflection point and the last two behind my listening position. For me there has been no other tweek or treatment that has surpassed the improvement in sound, than these acoustic panels. Very Highly Recommended!!!
    Michael
    AT33PTG/II> VPI Scout> Lehman Black Cube Statment> Jolida BR202> Martian Logan Motion 40> My happy ear.

I'm paul.

yes indeed, the best money you could ever spend. I have similar, one 4' x 2' x 2" absorption panel by the right speakers first reflection point, three of the same panels behind the listening position and one on the ceiling at first reflection point and kilo serge wall curtains by the left speakers first reflection point as there are French doors on the adjacent wall. I have corner bass traps that are not used as they didn't make any difference to the sound. As it is the set up is superb, instruments separated, bass tight and musical and air and space.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Phil.

we have 2 big sofa`s in our listening room
    ikea took them away today and i was amazed at the effect 2 pieces of furniture can have
    you could hear the echo in the room which was not present before

lets hope the ikea replacements soon calm things down as i can see what a difference furniture and fittings can make
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Bruce.

GIK Acoustics carries a good line of acoustic treatments at a good price. I found that their price was only double what it cost me to make my own. Some 244 bass traps in the corners and some 242 acoustic panels or 'spot' panels at reflection points do a good basic treatment for not a large amount.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm jamie.

thanks for the link
    they do all the bits for diy traps too so i might have a go myself.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Neil.

One of the best room treatment tweaks I ever did, apart from sofas, soft furnishings, rugs etc., was putting acoustic panels in between my speakers. When I first moved into my house, I immediately noticed the in-wall metal fireplace disturbing to sound, so I covered it.

We will be knocking out the fireplace soon, but, I will definitely be creating a 'fire screen' made up of acoustic panels.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast