+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer audio vs. traditional hi-fi test at AVI HQ

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Computer audio vs. traditional hi-fi test at AVI HQ

Guys,

As you will no doubt be aware from the current on-going discussion, I have proposed a test for the above and it has been suggested to hold the event at AVI HQ in Nailsworth. I presume that Ashley will be providing the necessary refreshments on the day

What I'm looking for is a list of volunteers to judge the outcome of the event. I will be bringing my Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 CDP to represent the 'traditional' side of hi-fi, and Tony Sallis of Coherent Systems will also be providing some alternative equipment together with a full measurement suite. Ashley and JC will be comparing it to a Mac Book, and other computer sources, in an AVI system featuring ADM9s.

Therefore could you please put your name forward if you would like to attend the event as one of the panel of judges and suggest a possible date for it to take place? I myself will not be able to participate until sometime next month, so suggested dates in May are what we're looking for. A detailed report of the event and its outcome, including pictures, will be reported on the forum. We would ask that all judges are prepared to do their own individual write-up of the event including their opinions of the outcome, and participate as far as necessary in the subsequent discussion of the event on the forum.

If anyone would like to discuss further details of the event and the plan of action for the day, or if you have any queries or suggestions, please post them here. Ashley and myself will then collate the information, work out a schedule, and admin will inform all members of the final details for the event in due course.

Thank you.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Marco,

Is this really a good idea? Perhaps ADM9s are not sufficiently revealing to show the real differences at source. I think you could be walking into a trap. Neutral territory would be good although having Mr C. on hand with some proper kit should help your case.

I certainly can't be judge. I'll either betray you or I'll be accused of impartiality.

Who's taking the pics?

I'm Steve.

Count me in. Free most of the month, except for the 6th and the last week.
    I'll bring me Nikon, gum-shield and hearing aid.

Hang on a minute!!! We're a manufacturer, the dems I do are at my home and you're asking me to entertain a load of fanatic supporters of "alternative technologies" who aren't sympathetic to the studio monitor approach.

I cannot set aside that much time, but I will happily see anyone who is curious. One person for an exploratory visit to see what the likely reaction will be.

Here's an excerpt from a customer that's self explanatory:

Well, consider a pair sold! Jarno Granö (the name of the fella) drove 50 miles on his motorcycle from Helsinki to have a listen and after 3 hours had a very hard time leaving =). He told me he's been going through most shops in Helsinki and heard both passive and active sets, but all sounded constrained or muffled compared to the ADM9s. Even some expensive pro active monitors couldn't touch the open upper mids of these, he thought, the least coloured speakers he recalled ever having heard. The sub was off for most of the time, even though he likes snappy stuff like Air and Yello etc. I have to admit that at some point even I thought the sub was on when it wasn't... I'm sending you a file with really snapy stuff, though hardly worth calling it music...

I don't mid explaining why we do what we do and what we see as the disadvantages of the approach taken by subjectivists, but I don't want a house full of bigots down here to prove to themselves that ADM9s are crap and vinyl is nirvana. I don't meed them I've got plenty of people buying them without even bothering to hear them first!!! And yes they are really delighted with the sound.

Ash

I'm Simon.

I'd like to attend, May isn't the best month for me so best to come up with some dates and I'll see if I can be available - I'm away for 2 weeks.

edited as I've just seen Ash's post.

In that case why not do it in a neutral venue ? As mentioned in the original thread I'm not in favour of cd nor computer based technologies so have no axe to grind with regards to either of them.
    Last edited by griffo104; 17-04-2008 at 15:23.

I'm Steve.

Sorry Ash..
    Just assumed the arrangements had been made.

Perhaps a better call would be for Marco to go down and report back...after all he seems to have taken this to heart.

Steve W

PS Funds permitting, I will be a customer, so careful who you describe as bigots please.

Ash, you need to have a word with Johnny boy about this.

If we're going to do this test we need to do it right - no half-way measures!

You assert that computer audio sources such as Mac Books, etc, are better than classic Red book CDPs such as my Sony, and I say you're talking 'mince' () so we need to thrash this out once and for all as objectively and professionally as possible to prove your point or not, otherwise you stop mentioning it on the forum - and by "it" I don't mean ADM9s, just that your way of doing things is automatically better!

So have a chat with 'wee Brummy' and see what you come up with.

I say bring it on no matter where or how. 'Neutral venues' don't bother me because something is either good or it isn't, and I know just how good the Sony is...

The ball's in your court, amigo!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Ahh, I can understand Ash's position. I think he doesn't want a hostile mob, baying for AVI's blood, and ending up with an adversorial situation.

I think what he had in mind Marco, was for you and I to compare sony -v- laptop on adm9's and to state our opinions of the result. Maybe we could also try the big test amps if there's time.

Then if the whole thing didn't turn out to be shambolic we could do a repeat with more people at another venue.

I thing what Ash is concerned about is opening his doors to a trojan horse. He has big valuable commercial issues at stake here and we're just pissing about with our hobby.

I reckon it would be ok for me and Marco to try it out and see how it goes.

Whaddya think Marco and Ash ?

Sounds fine by me - I just wish you had said before that you wanted to keep it more 'low key' before I put it into the public domain!

Marco.
    Main System

Maybe Ash has a fair bit on his plate at the moment, we'll see what he has to say.

Marco, is your work and your residence the same place and which houses your spendors ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast