+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SPU help wanted

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Default SPU help wanted

I came back with this SPU today to go with the 301/ 3012 project I have just bought , the spu that is already mounted is mono so I bought this one , anyone have any idea what model it is ?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm Geoff.

SPU TE I believe. That's a nice sounding MC and you won't need an SUT, it's built in. That's what the 'T' stands for.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Thanks I thought that about the Sut Hope it's ok , just makes the purchase of my new Sut superfluous , oh well it's working well on the Denon
    Jon

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer

I'm Geoff.

The SUT on the SPU doesn't look much, but it's quite decent. Although I took it off my old SPU TE and noticed an improvement using my regular SUT. Most people would be horrified that I did that these days, but it was a while ago.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

I recently had two of a similar vintage, one with the internal transformers, one without. In terms of hi-fi stuff like detail, soundstaging and 'slam', using a top-class SUT with the standard version was slightly better. In terms of musical enjoyment, I preferred the one with the internal transformers. Should be a great match with your 301and 3012. Interesting project, Jon!

I'm Imjustsurviving.

We have a bit of a problem after soldering in the spu as it would appear that the arm lead needs to be re- wired as it goes out of phase to a normal cartridge is this right because of the inbuilt suts ??

I was was hoping that I could just swap head shells and cartridges with only minor adjustments and not have to swap leads as well
    Jon

Set up

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    We have a bit of a problem after soldering in the spu as it would appear that the arm lead needs to be re- wired as it goes out of phase to a normal cartridge is this right because of the inbuilt suts ??

I was was hoping that I could just swap head shells and cartridges with only minor adjustments and not have to swap leads as well
    If you are using a detachable headshell, then you will need to either solder the flying leads from the transformer directly to the pins on the back of the bayonet connector, or solder on some cartridge tags to the leads and use them to slip onto the pins. With respect to the headshell pins, the two channels of the SPUT are swapped over (is this what you mean by "out of phase"?).

Thus the left-hand channel (coloured white) will go to the lower left pin, as seen when looking down on the underside of the headshell, and the right-hand channel (coloured red) will go the lower right pin. The black leads for each channel will go the respective upper pins. Don't connect the black leads to the opposite pins - if you do you may have hum problems (I know from experience with an Ortofon SL15E).

Is it possible for you to post a photo of what you have done already?
    Barry

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you are using a detachable headshell, then you will need to either solder the flying leads from the transformer directly to the pins on the back of the bayonet connector, or solder on some cartridge tags to the leads and use them to slip onto the pins. With respect to the headshell pins, the two channels of the SPUT are swapped over (is this what you mean by "out of phase"?).

Thus the left-hand channel (coloured white) will go to the lower left pin, as seen when looking down on the underside of the headshell, and the right-hand channel (coloured red) will go the lower right pin. The black leads for each channel will go the respective upper pins. Don't connect the black leads to the opposite pins - if you do you may have hum problems (I know from experience with an Ortofon SL15E).

Is it possible for you to post a photo of what you have done already?
    yes that's exactly what I mean and think we have wired like you said, I will check when I'm back over mine

thanks Barry
    Jon

Set up

+ Reply to Thread