+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Burn-In - Forum Members Experience

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Clive.

Default Burn-In - Forum Members Experience

In view of comments on another forum regarding 'burn-in' all being in the mind, I thought I would start a thread here to find out what esteemed members think.

My own thoughts are very much in the middle and I'm happy to sit on a fence until convinced otherwise.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Grant.

Andcwhat burn in are you referring to? Cables. Cartridges. Equipment. Or all?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Andcwhat burn in are you referring to? Cables. Cartridges. Equipment. Or all?
    It was a general HiFi question, therefore ALL
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Martin.

For me

Interconnects - no, never heard it
    Speaker cables - thought I heard it once but it turned out to be an issue with the speakers
    Amps - not bought many brand new amps in my time, but no
    CD players - no
    Speakers - well, brand new speakers definitely have to be run in, no-one disputes that. But I've never heard it make a noticeable difference.
    Fancy Mains cables - never had a new one
    Passive pre amp - yes - and I wasn't expecting it either but not a big enough difference to be totally outside the placebo exclusion zone. Turns out the resistors in the pots have to burn in a bit.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

I've not heard much evidence of electrical Burn-In, but speakers certainly need to be run in. I had a pair of Tannoy HPD drivers rebuilt and the sound changed very noticeably over the first few months, I would assume as the mechanical elements like the suspension bedded in

I'm Geoff.

'Burn in'? It's all Black Magic innit?

Some amplifiers and other electronics can seem to sound better after a period of use from new. But that of course could just be down to the user acclimatising to the sound. This is not the same thing as equipment sounding better after it's been on for a while though, which definitely happens. Certainly with each of my power amps and the phono stage.

Speakers definitely do 'break in', as opposed to burn in. Probably more noticeable on paper pulp coned units. I suspect this applies to an extent to all other electro-mechanical items like cartridges and even microphones. Last time I bought a new cartridge, the sound changed fairly dramatically over the first twenty hours or so of use.

As for cable burn in? I put that in the same category as directionality. I don't believe in it. Some do, but there again there are those who still believe the Earth is flat and that fairies exist!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Well if its all....then interconnects...maybe but not heard it. Speaker cable probably same. I have heard it but proved to my self it was me.
    Amps cds etc possible but not much. I know some components do but probably quite quick. Carts yes. And can vary from 20hrs to 80hrs. Mains cable. Unlikely again . speakers a bit early on but probably only first 1hr.

Would be happy to be shown it happens though
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Yes. (for me)

In my experience I've noticed changes with any new kit I've had, cables, power supplies, internal components, speakers...you name it.
    Some take longer than others and some are more noticable than others, but you know what...personally...I just enjoy the music and appreciate any improvement when it comes along.

Dont get caught up in the same old arguments about what causes it, is it in your head, expectation bias and all that stuff, life's too short.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neil.

Yes burn-in is real, it is measurable, BUT, your ears / mind interface also 'burns-in' to component changes, and it's difficult to separate the two out.

The only real takeaway from this is to not base a decision in the short term, and to give things a bit of time before making a judgement.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Yes burn-in is real, it is measurable, BUT, your ears / mind interface also 'burns-in' to component changes, and it's difficult to separate the two out.

The only real takeaway from this is to not base a decision in the short term, and to give things a bit of time before making a judgement.
    Spot on and vital.

I have heard run in, and warm up on most things. Sometimes the change is subtle, sometimes its blind man on galloping horse obvious.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast