View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

1 12.50%
  • 6/10

6 75.00%
  • 7/10

1 12.50%
  • 8/10

0 0%
  • 9/10

0 0%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, April 2016: Cage the Elephant - 'Melophobia'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, April 2016: Cage the Elephant - 'Melophobia'

The Album Club choice for April comes courtesy of Mike (idlewithnodrive) with 'Melophobia' by Cage the Elephant. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you vote.

My first AoS Album choice is Melophobia by Cage The Elephant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melophobia

Looking back over past AoS choices, there has been a definite 70's vibe going on, proggy, some old style rock, maybe into a bit of Psychodelia but not a lot too challenging, modern or different.

So, not wanting to upset anybody with my usual choices but not wanting to just stay in the same mould, I thought I would choose an updated (2013) version of the same ('ish).

Cage The Elephant are a Nashville based Alternative / Garage / Psych / Stoner Rock band with a liking for down 'n' dirty bluesy rifts. This is their 3rd Album and is a bit more mellow version of their usual Sixties garage rock, Seventies punk and Eighties alt-rock mix but not much.

I first came across them in the best way - I had selected 2 LP's in a 3 for £30 deal but couldn't find anything else I knew / liked, so chose a lucky dip as my third choice.

I think I was very lucky, let's see what you think.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2hvgnujpTiyjBxv9gLpmss

I'm Barry.

Whoa this looks strange , stoner rock I like

I'm Grant.

we all like a bluesy rift now and then
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Sean.

This isn't really for me, nothing particularly bad I just found myself hoping it would end, and then the last track came on Cigarette Daydreams - I like this track. 6 from me.

I'm Mike.

Not bad, just not my cup of tea 6 from me.
    Mike

My kit

Garrard 401, 12 inch Jelco SA – 750L, Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver Litz tonearm cable, Graham Slee Reflex C with Yannis Tome 223.5 Connect-Litz cables, Audio-Technica AT33EV, Audio Technica AT33 Mono, XTZ A100 D3, Azur 650C CDP with Yannis Tome 223.5 Connect-Litz cables, Speakers - Kef LS S0, Graham Slee Novo headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO.

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the suggestion, always good to hear something different.
    The album seemed very loud and not my usual listen. Some tracks were ok others like Teeth hurt my ears. So only 6/10 from me.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Barry.

Quite enjoyed it , a little too poppy in parts but overall not bad at all 7/10.

I'm Richard.

Well let's get this out of the way now. Other than the odd song on the radio, I've been guilty of completely ignoring this band, mainly due to their awful name. I thought it might be a euphemism for something but unless I'm being stupid, it would seem not, but it is a terrible name.

I like this though. The opening bars foretold of something like Queens of the Stone Age to come, but it quickly drew back and revealed a lot more subtle influences. There are bits of Supergrass and Eels in there, a bit of Vampire Weekend, maybe a little Pixies. A nice mix of styles from laid back East Coast rock to some very nice dirty scuzzy rock. I have to say that Teeth is the stand out track for me and I like them best when they're at their heaviest. I find the more straightforward stuff a little contrived so I'm not sure it gets past a 6/10 for me, but it definitely makes me want to explore the rest of their albums and that's what this thread is all about is it not, so a great recommendation. Fundamentally they sound like a band enjoying themselves and comfortable with what they're doing and there's a lot to like here.
    Rich

I'm Mike.

Thanks everybody (so far ?) for your input.

Seems like it at least generated some interest for most and as Rich says, that is what it is all about n'est ce pas ?
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Rich.

A 6 from me. Listened to this via headphones whilst commuting as I do most album club selections. Not bad, but nothing inspiring me to seek out more from them unfortunately.

I'd imagine they'd be quite a lively act to see though. If I were to come across them on a festival stage somewhere they'd get the time of day.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast