View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

1 12.50%
  • 6/10

6 75.00%
  • 7/10

1 12.50%
  • 8/10

0 0%
  • 9/10

0 0%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, April 2016: Cage the Elephant - 'Melophobia'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, April 2016: Cage the Elephant - 'Melophobia'

The Album Club choice for April comes courtesy of Mike (idlewithnodrive) with 'Melophobia' by Cage the Elephant. As always, please listen to the album in its entirety before you vote.

My first AoS Album choice is Melophobia by Cage The Elephant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melophobia

Looking back over past AoS choices, there has been a definite 70's vibe going on, proggy, some old style rock, maybe into a bit of Psychodelia but not a lot too challenging, modern or different.

So, not wanting to upset anybody with my usual choices but not wanting to just stay in the same mould, I thought I would choose an updated (2013) version of the same ('ish).

Cage The Elephant are a Nashville based Alternative / Garage / Psych / Stoner Rock band with a liking for down 'n' dirty bluesy rifts. This is their 3rd Album and is a bit more mellow version of their usual Sixties garage rock, Seventies punk and Eighties alt-rock mix but not much.

I first came across them in the best way - I had selected 2 LP's in a 3 for 30 deal but couldn't find anything else I knew / liked, so chose a lucky dip as my third choice.

I think I was very lucky, let's see what you think.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2hvgnujpTiyjBxv9gLpmss

I'm Barry.

Whoa this looks strange , stoner rock I like

I'm Grant.

we all like a bluesy rift now and then
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.6- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 & HEAVILY MODDED MF X10v3. BERESFORD SWITCHBOX. - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - TANDBERG TCD310 - CARTS.. AT95 Shibata, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

I'm Sean.

This isn't really for me, nothing particularly bad I just found myself hoping it would end, and then the last track came on Cigarette Daydreams - I like this track. 6 from me.

I'm Mike.

Not bad, just not my cup of tea 6 from me.
    Mike

My kit

Garrard 401, 12 inch Jelco SA 750L, Audio-Technica AT33EV, AT33 Mono, Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver Litz tonearm cable,Graham Slee Reflex C, XTZ A100 D3, Azur 650C CDP, Yannis Tome 223.5 Connect-Litz cables, Speakers - B&W DM2, Graham Slee Novo headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the suggestion, always good to hear something different.
    The album seemed very loud and not my usual listen. Some tracks were ok others like Teeth hurt my ears. So only 6/10 from me.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Jolida JD102B, Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6,
    Project Carbon 2M Blue, Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Barry.

Quite enjoyed it , a little too poppy in parts but overall not bad at all 7/10.

I'm Richard.

Well let's get this out of the way now. Other than the odd song on the radio, I've been guilty of completely ignoring this band, mainly due to their awful name. I thought it might be a euphemism for something but unless I'm being stupid, it would seem not, but it is a terrible name.

I like this though. The opening bars foretold of something like Queens of the Stone Age to come, but it quickly drew back and revealed a lot more subtle influences. There are bits of Supergrass and Eels in there, a bit of Vampire Weekend, maybe a little Pixies. A nice mix of styles from laid back East Coast rock to some very nice dirty scuzzy rock. I have to say that Teeth is the stand out track for me and I like them best when they're at their heaviest. I find the more straightforward stuff a little contrived so I'm not sure it gets past a 6/10 for me, but it definitely makes me want to explore the rest of their albums and that's what this thread is all about is it not, so a great recommendation. Fundamentally they sound like a band enjoying themselves and comfortable with what they're doing and there's a lot to like here.
    Rich

I'm Mike.

Thanks everybody (so far ?) for your input.

Seems like it at least generated some interest for most and as Rich says, that is what it is all about n'est ce pas ?
    My stuff -

Analogue: Lenco GL-75 / AN IQ2 / DL-160
    For when there's no Analogue: Doge 6 CDP
    To discover loads of new music: SBT into Micromega MyDac
    Make music louder: Quad 34 / Quad 405-2
    Music boxes: Heco Celan 300
    Cleaning duties: Okki Nokki 2

I'm Rich.

A 6 from me. Listened to this via headphones whilst commuting as I do most album club selections. Not bad, but nothing inspiring me to seek out more from them unfortunately.

I'd imagine they'd be quite a lively act to see though. If I were to come across them on a festival stage somewhere they'd get the time of day.
    NEBO 8 - Sat 6th May 2017, St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport. 10am til late.

See here for details: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...Airport/page20

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast