+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The elusive Melco Turntable

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    He must have had considerable disposable income (& very good taste) especially when you consider what was being touted as state of the art by Haymarket Publishing & HiFi News at around that time.

He was MD of a big shipping company. Big house backing onto a Golf course, drove a Bristol 412 and had a Laverda Jota for the weekends. He also had a 4 1/2 litre blower bentley at one time. We thought he was quite a cool guy for an old fogey.

I'm Justin.

Melco at Cool Gales, Bath Show 2016. Bottom box.

Not quite the same degree of cool as the TTs

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    You could use the same thread as a Micro Seiki RX series or Platine Verdier turntable (sadly J C Verdier passed away recently)

You could make your own silk thread drives or even use some 1/4" RtR tape
    What do you do about the knot?

Would threads/belts made from Scotch 3M sound different to those made from Agfa, or BASF or Pyral tape?
    Barry

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Would threads/belts made from Scotch 3M sound different to those made from Agfa, or BASF or Pyral tape?
    When used in a RtR quite possibly

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    New one on me Clark, never seen or heard of one before.

Far eastern prices for rare items are often high, very high. Personally I wouldn't touch anything very rare as spares, belts etc might be very hard to find.
    "belt" is a piece of string of ANY size! Just move the motor further away. Can't see that anything else could have a spare part other than a complete new part making 1/3 of the turntable - i.e. it would have to be completely smashed or big lost parts to need "spares".

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    Like these?

They're the ones. The best I have used and I don't believe they were expensive.

I'm Paul.

For those interested in the Melco 3560, I helped my friend set his up after some years in storage last week, serial number #1. I will add some photo's over the weekend if anyone wants to see them, but this one was purchased from Be Yamamura in the early 80's by my friends, and partnered with an FR66-s and Koetsu Onyx. Silk thread between motor pulley and platter, additional brass 'mat' and 2 options for record clamp/weight, 2 or 6kg. Combined, close to 100kg, certainly a 2 man job to move and set up. As far as we are aware only 2 were brought in to Europe. Sonically, it produces very convincing piano, better than any other TT I have heard, very clean defined start stop, such a far cry from the british efforts of the day.
    Z:Axis Audio
    British made Cabling and High End Audio Support Systems and the New 'Symetrica' balanced Power Supply.

UK Distributor for Concert Fidelity Inc Japan & Aidas Audio Phono Cartridges
    UK supplier for: Z:Axis Audio; Concert Fidelity

Personal System:
    Mains - Symetrica by Z:Axis Audio - A game changer!
    CD Transport - Ayon CD-T2
    DAC - Ayon Stratos Refrence
    TT - Sony TTS 8000 /SAEC WE 506/30 / Aidas MC Cartridges
    Phonostage - RCM Audio Theriaa & Sensor2
    Pre - Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 & CLS050 Hybrid valve/SS ultra short signal path technology.
    Power - Concert Fidelity ZL-200 Mono's.
    Loudspeakers - Franco Serblin Ktema.
    Support System - Z:Axis Audio Grand Mirage 98.8
    Cabling - All our own; Z:Axis B52 Reference, Infinity Reference Digital, Livewire Loudspeaker & Xer0 Power Cabling.

Demonstration sessions welcome by appointment.

I'm Paul.

Attached images below:

Z:Axis Audio
    British made Cabling and High End Audio Support Systems and the New 'Symetrica' balanced Power Supply.

UK Distributor for Concert Fidelity Inc Japan & Aidas Audio Phono Cartridges
    UK supplier for: Z:Axis Audio; Concert Fidelity

Personal System:
    Mains - Symetrica by Z:Axis Audio - A game changer!
    CD Transport - Ayon CD-T2
    DAC - Ayon Stratos Refrence
    TT - Sony TTS 8000 /SAEC WE 506/30 / Aidas MC Cartridges
    Phonostage - RCM Audio Theriaa & Sensor2
    Pre - Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 & CLS050 Hybrid valve/SS ultra short signal path technology.
    Power - Concert Fidelity ZL-200 Mono's.
    Loudspeakers - Franco Serblin Ktema.
    Support System - Z:Axis Audio Grand Mirage 98.8
    Cabling - All our own; Z:Axis B52 Reference, Infinity Reference Digital, Livewire Loudspeaker & Xer0 Power Cabling.

Demonstration sessions welcome by appointment.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    They're the ones. The best I have used and I don't believe they were expensive.
    What are those headshell leads made of ?
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Dave.

Not 100% sure but I believe they were 5 x 9 OFC Litz with copper lugs. I don't know what the insulation is but it is very soft. I have a few sets of these which are head and shoulders better than any others I have used over the decades.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast