+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The elusive Melco Turntable

I'm Clark.

Default The elusive Melco Turntable

These were retailed in the UK by Studio Beko Ltd in the early 80's and I've only ever seen one a long time ago that belonged to the father of one of my friends. Never seen another since.

http://www.topclassaudio.com/web/eng....jsp?gid=7070#

http://www.topclassaudio.com/web/eng...type=Turntable

I'm Sam.

Is that dealer seriously asking $22,252 for an 80s motor in a box and a heavy platter on a cast iron tripod??

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Advent View Post
    Is that dealer seriously asking $22,252 for an 80s motor in a box and a heavy platter on a cast iron tripod??
    Yes.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes.
    That's the little one. The big version was called 3560.

Studio Beco was run (in part) by Be Yamamura. Besides running a Japanese restaurant in Soho he was importing & building some outrageous systems (the price of a house) back in the late 70's. He brought in the Melco along with Audio Note cartridges & amps as well as other Japanese exotica.

£2345 was a mad price for a turntable back in the 70's.

Here's a pic of a really blinged up 3560 with gold versions of the Ikeda & Odyssey arms. This looks to be a fairly recent pic.

Last edited by pure sound; 31-03-2016 at 22:59.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    These were retailed in the UK by Studio Beko Ltd in the early 80's and I've only ever seen one a long time ago that belonged to the father of one of my friends. Never seen another since.

http://www.topclassaudio.com/web/eng....jsp?gid=7070#

http://www.topclassaudio.com/web/eng...type=Turntable
    New one on me Clark, never seen or heard of one before.

Far eastern prices for rare items are often high, very high. Personally I wouldn't touch anything very rare as spares, belts etc might be very hard to find.
    Regards Neil

I'm Guy.

It's interesting to see the company back in the HiFi business again now with their high end streamers.

http://www.melco-audio.com/about-us/

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I thought Melco were a Hungarian company that used to design and produce professional equipment for broadcast use; an alternative and rival to EMT. We have/had a member here who used to use one and, I think, put one up for sale a couple of years ago. It wasn't a thread-drive, but a rim-drive design similar to the EMT 930.
    Barry

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    That's the little one. The big version was called 3560.

Studio Beco was run (in part) by Be Yamamura. Besides running a Japanese restaurant in Soho he was importing & building some outrageous systems (the price of a house) back in the late 70's. He brought in the Melco along with Audio Note cartridges & amps as well as other Japanese exotica.

£2345 was a mad price for a turntable back in the 70's.

That pic is of page 909 of the December 1980 issue of Gramophone magazine

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I thought Melco were a Hungarian company that used to design and produce professional equipment for broadcast use; an alternative and rival to EMT. We have/had a member here who used to use one and, I think, put one up for sale a couple of years ago. It wasn't a thread-drive, but a rim-drive design similar to the EMT 930.
    I think you're thinking of Mechlabor Barry.

They produced the SL 101 and 102 turntables but were probably better known for their STM series of professional RtR's

I'm Guy.

It appears from the company website that they actually started in 1975. I didn't realise it was quite so early.

I heard the 3560 once over in Stockholm with an FR66 and an Io. Extraordinary sounding deck.

It'd be fun if the company were to launch another TT after all this time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast