+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Streaming Set Up - But What?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by rikardo1979 View Post
    lets have some fun tonight

I'll give you £50 for it right now, save you any grief

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I'll give you £50 for it right now, save you any grief
    I am m8 I use to work in SMT, running the whole production on automated machines and doing hand builds and rework, all sorts. Soldering down to 0201s so I should be fine
    But thanks for your generous offer

I'm Mike.

Damn lol.

Be good to see it once finished as I've been watching these to do one myself but other HiFi buys have been getting in the way

I'm Richard.

Damn lol.

Be good to see it once finished as I've been watching these to do one myself but other HiFi buys have been getting in the way
    so you built one of these yourself before? As I am little bit surprised finding no instructions what so ever

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by rikardo1979 View Post
    so you built one of these yourself before? As I am little bit surprised finding no instructions what so ever
    No, but keen to see what you think once built.

I'm Richard.

No, but keen to see what you think once built.
    I have done some bits tonight but I have realized I do not have all parts needed included in the kit my bad I haven't checked the site properly.
    I can not wire the button and the screen as I have no wires for that

But rest is mostly done, as there is not much to do anyway

Now the hardest part for me, software
    I am not the guy who live in code so this going to take a while. I do not want to use what they offer. So I need to figure out how to use it with XBian which is an Kodi distro
    But I think I have to leave it for weekend

I'm rupert.

]this is apparently a touchscreen prototype http://www.audiophonics.fr is working on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8YsMW2LqkI

I'm chris.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    A wide variety of opinions so thanks to all. Having read and digested the assembled views I realise perhaps it's a music server not a streamer that I need; assuming there's a distinction. Something akin to a "Juke Box" that gives me easy access to my CD collection or tracks thereof. How often do we put a CD on and listen to the whole thing? Well sometimes I know but not every CD.

I don't particularly need radio, wifi or the ability to pick up music in any room in the house - although if these features come along as baggage with a player and the SQ is excellent it won't stop me buying it. If it's a directly wired NAS device I need to hook into the player I presume I can load it via the desktop then plug it into the system.

Raspberry Pi seems to have got a lot of support but this looks like the start of a new hobby and not something I need right now. Maybe something on the back burner to try later in the year just to see if I can. Anyone point me to an "idiots Guide" so I can read it up?

The Logitec Transporter looks an intriguing piece of kit. They're still available new in the US for about £500 (without the Transnav knob) but are now a retired product. I can just imagine buying one, and finding out its faulty with the vendor 4000 miles away. Bit of a risk............

The Naim Superuniti is the answer to a different problem and I'm not ready to chuck everything else out as I appreciate what I get in terms of SQ. If I had to start again I'd buy the same again. For me it works that well. I know Naim has its fan base but on the two occasions I've auditioned Naim (amp and CD player) there was always something better sounding for the same or less cash. Maybe the Naim ND5 XS Network Player could be the breakthrough this time? I just loathe the auditioning process. Maybe I need to just suck it up and get on with it and see?

Yes the Lenovo mini PC did have cooling fans and undoubtedly would have dirtied the power supply at the very least. I won't go with PC driven streaming again, and one reason I wasn't exactly in tears when it went "pop".

Thanks Mike (AlfaGTV) for having a go at directly answering the question and yes, I now realise that it's a bigger question than first appears. The general silence in terms of comment on the players I've listed is deafening.

Bluesound and Cocktail Audio are not companies I'd looked at but will now.

As I've said, the cash is still in my pocket so I'll keep looking. Any further insight? Keep it coming.

I'm a bit late coming to this but I'd certainly look at Innuos http://innuos.com/en ---- I have one and the platform is open so lots of apps developed etc ..... excellent customer support too .... I will risk ire but I'm not a big fan of Naim sound and you can keep your current DAC etc ---- I've also been convinced that the USB/SPDIF conversion is as important as the DAC and personally use a SW1X transport for that job ..... you're welcome to come over for a listen if you'd like

I'm Bob.

Default OP Update

I've taken the easy way out and gone for a ready made solution as opposed to a development programme.

A couple of days ago I took delivery of a Cyrus Stream X2, nipped out to Curry's and bought a Western Digital 3TB NAS and spent an hour setting it up and transferring files across. Couldn't believe how simple it was.

So the chain is NAS drive - Router - Stream X2 - DAC - Preamp - Poweramp - Speakers.

Even though it's only running on WiFi at present the result has astounded me.

The sound is rich and full, plenty of detail and sparkly delight, taught bass and shimmering cymbals. This is a night and day contrast to the PC derived signal which was perhaps convenient but not something you could fall in love with.

The Cyrus Cadence control app downloaded painlessly onto my Samsung Android 'phone and sort of controls things, but, what shall I say - "needs work" in terms of functionality. BubbleUPnP works better but there are a couple of others to try before I'm settled. Never thought I'd say it but I miss the functionality of iTunes. There is a possibility that Media Monkey can be configured to run the lot but that's an investigation in progress - unless anyone can advise me they've already done it?

The router and music room are on different floors in the house so I'm just studying the cable route the alarm people used so I can install a hard wired Cat 5e network without lifting too many floor boards. Seems doable.

So, thanks for the views, the demo offer from Chris (hughandella) and the insight into the RPi club. Takes me back to the Sinclair ZX81 in the early 80's. Now that WAS a hobby.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567