+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vandersteen Model 1C

I'm Jerry.

Default Vandersteen Model 1C

Why do I like these speakers so much? There isn't much to look at; A bit of wood top and bottom and four poles between with some fabric stretched over. Hardly earth shattering.
    The money has been spent inside. A cast metal basket woofer in a transmission line port enclosure and a metal alloy damped tweeter is used. These are coupled to a first order crossover with great attention paid to ensure absolute phase integrity.
    Their reputation for imaging is renowned but what I like more than anything is their ability to respond to better quality equipment. Every time I change something the Vandies show its ability.
    The only trouble is knowing what I could get to better them without spending silly money.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm gone.

Yes, those Vandie 1C's are very nice speakers. I know 2 folks who have them and are very pleased. One tried to upgrade recently and was prepared to pay a lot more .... he's still got the Vandies though as he hasn't found anything that is more to his taste, and the larger Vandies he tried really needed a larger room than he has.

I like the sound a lot - the bass depth and control is phenomenal - and the 3D soundstaging can be superb, too, one of those setups was quite the best I have ever heard 3D-wise (until the owner 'upgraded' his amp and totally screwed the sound! ).

Vandies are on my (quite extensive!) Want List for the next time I want to change speakers.

I'm Jerry.

I wish I could get the proper stands for them (Sound Anchors) which are essential. The British dealer wouldn't sell me a pair and the American manufacturer didn't respond to an e-mail. I have had to make a copy from timber.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm gone.

Stands - ah yes, they are said to be worthwhile.

Why not phone up Sound Anchor? - they can ignore or no get around to an email, but a phone call is a different matter!

I'm Jerry.

Nah, I think it wil cost a bomb to ship them over the pond. I might look into getting them fabricated out of square section steel tube. A lick of Hammerite and Bobs your Auntie.
    Jerry

I'm gone.

Having vaguely seen (but not closely examined) the stands, I think you are right. Should be easy to knock-off a copy - it ain't rocket science!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

They were great speaker's i wanted them for a long time ' also the DCM time windows were very nice too ' even Chris Frankland liked them '
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Phil.

yes there has been a pair knocking around for sale recently but i believe hey need very careful set up
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Jerry.

They need to be away from the wall a bit. Other than that I haven't had much problem.
    Jerry

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I wish I could get the proper stands for them (Sound Anchors) which are essential. The British dealer wouldn't sell me a pair and the American manufacturer didn't respond to an e-mail. I have had to make a copy from timber.
    They should be easy enough to replicate if you have a chop saw & welding kit. as long as you have a single spike at the rear you should be able to do what the propar stand does..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-03-2010 at 03:18.

+ Reply to Thread