+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any TT building experience?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I'm not a believer in mass as an isolator or 'hefty' plinths as such.
    Nor me, necessarily. It has its place, as do other approaches.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stephen.

Hi guys and thank you for your input it is very welcome. I be off to work now. So will be offline. Please keep the ideas and info coming.

Thanks
    Dynaudio Audience 52's
    SVS SB 1000 Sub,
    Rega brio R AMP
    Rega DAC
    Rega planar 3TT
    Grace 707 tonearm
    Nagaoka MP200 cart.

I'm Stephen.

Do you have access to Solidworks Steph? If you have the correct extension you can do finite element analysis.
    Hi Mark, I do not have access to Solid works, sadly. That would be the answer tough. Very interesting thought, thank you.
    Dynaudio Audience 52's
    SVS SB 1000 Sub,
    Rega brio R AMP
    Rega DAC
    Rega planar 3TT
    Grace 707 tonearm
    Nagaoka MP200 cart.

I'm Gary.

Steph,
    What design software do you use?

No doubt you could export your model in various formats and maybe someone could help out with the FEA calcs if need be?
    Inventor and Pro-E guy here, but dont have the facility to do FEA.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Deleted.

I should perhaps add that my opinion is FEA is no magic bullet and many of the results it gives can be predicted using experience and applied knowledge. In addition, like any investigative tool, it is only as good as the quality of the input and the subsequent interpretation of the results.
    Account Deleted

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Steph,
    What design software do you use?

No doubt you could export your model in various formats and maybe someone could help out with the FEA calcs if need be?
    Inventor and Pro-E guy here, but dont have the facility to do FEA.
    Hi Gaz, Ok dont laugh OK? I use Sketchup I use it professionally for product/landscape and Architectural for about 8 hours a day. I always feel I must justify using this medium but its actually very powerful ( I used to use 3DS Max) You have me thinking though there is a plugin called "sketchy Physics" that may do the trick. And yes i could transfer that to just about any format.
    Dynaudio Audience 52's
    SVS SB 1000 Sub,
    Rega brio R AMP
    Rega DAC
    Rega planar 3TT
    Grace 707 tonearm
    Nagaoka MP200 cart.

I'm jamie.

It's not so much that I don't like using wood, just not solid timber in turntables. Even then it partly depends on the wood. The problem with solid timber, as opposed to man made boards like MDF or ply, is that they vary in quality from one batch to another and even within the same piece, they are not as stable as other materials and they have a defined grain structure. All of this is less true of the very hard exotics like ebony but they are not available in sufficient size to make much more than an armboard out of (I've used ebony for turntable bits in the past) - however, the very fine particulate grain of these woods means they are more akin to materials like Delrin (or even Tufnol) than they are to most other woods.

I think that there is a common misconception that items that reproduce music should themselves emulate the construction of musical instruments (turntables, cartridges, arms and speakers). The reality is that the musicians play the instruments - the playback system isn't another musical instrument, it is a measuring and reproduction instrument - it should replay that which it is given and not add random extra levels of distortion. Musical instruments are designed to colour the sound in specific ways, the musician works with this to create the sound they want - there isn't supposed to be another set of distortions overlaid on top of that by the reproduction components.
    thanks,
    i made an ebony arm board for my AR turntable before i went to the lp12,it made a big difference over the standard one,i also tried lacewood, acrylic and an mdf aluminium sandwich.the ebony one sounded the best,i may make one for the lp12 ,if i still had my wood working machines id make a matching plinth too.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

Default Any TT building experience?

Did you try aluminium on its own, without the MDF element? The armboard I currently use in an aluminium/aluminium sandwich with a viscoelastic compound joining them. Before that I used a very similar design but made from carbon fibre and before that a carbon fibre component similar to that used in the chassis.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 29-03-2016 at 18:31.
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

no i never did,the aluminium sandwich one sounded awful so i never persevered .
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

I have found that laminating materials can give very different results depending on the precise specification of the materials and implementation.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast