+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any TT building experience?

I'm Deleted.

Do you have access to Solidworks Steph? If you have the correct extension you can do finite element analysis.
    Account Deleted

I'm James.

Not a lot of knowledge personally but, my brother in law built my table. He is a machinist and constructed the table using brass and aluminium. The main pedestal is solid brass. The platter is two inch Teflon. The bearing: he purchased a Clearaudio replacement bearing (may have been a VPI), and copied it. The bearing is a inverted ball and thrust plate. The motor is AC. This table is very heavy therefore isolates and controls resonances with its mass. Do to the flexibility of the arm board changing arms and alignments is easy!

Hope this helps a bit and your DIY table turns out successful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    why is that if i may ask?
    Sorry Jamie, are you asking me? If so, then why is what exactly?
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

i was asking why you like using wood
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i was asking why you like using wood
    But I wrote that I don't like using wood for this purpose:

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Personally I'm not very keen on the use of solid timber for use in turntables.
    Have you been on the Easter sherry ?
    Account Deleted

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by jn229 View Post
    Not a lot of knowledge personally but, my brother in law built my table. He is a machinist and constructed the table using brass and aluminium. The main pedestal is solid brass. The platter is two inch Teflon. The bearing: he purchased a Clearaudio replacement bearing (may have been a VPI), and copied it. The bearing is a inverted ball and thrust plate. The motor is AC. This table is very heavy therefore isolates and controls resonances with its mass. Do to the flexibility of the arm board changing arms and alignments is easy!

Hope this helps a bit and your DIY table turns out successful.
    What the dickens is going on with the lamp in that first shot?

Looks like a lovely turntable mind, congrats.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    But I wrote that I don't like using wood for this purpose:

Have you been on the Easter sherry ?
    sorry typo, ok so its clear WHY DONT YOU LIKE USING WOOD?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

It's not so much that I don't like using wood, just not solid timber in turntables. Even then it partly depends on the wood. The problem with solid timber, as opposed to man made boards like MDF or ply, is that they vary in quality from one batch to another and even within the same piece, they are not as stable as other materials and they have a defined grain structure. All of this is less true of the very hard exotics like ebony but they are not available in sufficient size to make much more than an armboard out of (I've used ebony for turntable bits in the past) - however, the very fine particulate grain of these woods means they are more akin to materials like Delrin (or even Tufnol) than they are to most other woods.

I think that there is a common misconception that items that reproduce music should themselves emulate the construction of musical instruments (turntables, cartridges, arms and speakers). The reality is that the musicians play the instruments - the playback system isn't another musical instrument, it is a measuring and reproduction instrument - it should replay that which it is given and not add random extra levels of distortion. Musical instruments are designed to colour the sound in specific ways, the musician works with this to create the sound they want - there isn't supposed to be another set of distortions overlaid on top of that by the reproduction components.
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Perhaps that very randomness in the grain and density of some woods could be an advantage in a fairly massy structure like a hefty TT plinth?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

Personally I would rather rely on good design than trust in something that may, or may not, exist; but then I'm not a believer in mass as an isolator or 'hefty' plinths as such.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast