+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Multi Plugs = Safe? Extension block better? DIY dual headed plug?

I'm Ken.

The multi plug Marco suggests is pretty good, I used one for a good few years.
    I now use a multi way IEC distribution block which has 10 inputs and a single 3 pin plug that goes into the wall socket.
    So all my appliances have leads with an IEC male plug on one end and an IEC female plug on the other end.
    This takes multiple fuses and the crap three pin plugs they are fitted in, out of the circuit.
    All my kit has low (and appropriate) value fuses on-board to protect it.
    The fuse in a safety plug is there purely to protect the power lead from going up in flames, should it get trapped in a door etc and short your ring main circuit, which caries more than 13amps. As long as you have one fuse at the head of the lead going into the wall socket, this is covered. You must of course make sure your total current draw is less than 13 Amps, but that is a lot, my whole system only draws 8 Amps.
    If you look at the Pro gear there are some nice 19" rack mains conditioning units for DJ's and Studio use with 8 or 10 IEC outlets on the back. Check out some of what's available at somewhere like Studio Spares. One hear for less than £100 https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-...B10_388290.htm There are models without the DJ down lights fitted, been tempted by these myself.

I'm Simon.

Not a fan of those multi-way plugs from what I've read. I believe they used to be around £10 about 5 years back but have since been discontinued so those £40 ones on ebay must be the last stock and at a premium price. I've read that the fuse holder in them is really poor also.

The power conditioners Ken linked to look good, although would be best served with my other equipment and not the power amp/s, right?

I'm Martin.

Right.

I used to have a Belkin effort that did improve the sound noticeably when the pre-amp was plugged into it. I've no idea why. It died when I had the meter changed and I forgot to unplug it. It was discontinued by then so I bought the replacement model but that did nothing for SQ.

I once plugged the power amp into it by accident and could tell from the first bar of music that something was not right.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

Well, I've ended up going the dual headed plug route. Ordered a MS HD POWER plug, recommended from another thread. Took a long time to wire it up. There is definitely a good amount of room in there but it's still tricky to route the wires carefully and make a tidy job of it. The Belden cable is really chunky too, certainly a huge step-up from the thin stuff on all my other cables.

Went with Kaiser IEC plugs although had to remove the cable strain relief bit as the Belden simply won't fit through it.

The sound has improved straight away. Most noticeably the bass has more weight to it and greater dynamic peaks. Almost like there was a compressor of some sorts over the music when plugged into the surge block.

Has breathed new life into my mono's and I just can't believe how long I've been listening to my amp/s like this. Gonna make the Firebottle/P1 comparison much harder now too.

I'm Simon.

Worth getting a Samson PS10 for my other gear sans power amps (CD, TT, DAC, Pre)? They're around £70-80 so quite reasonable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123