+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: changes

I'm paul.

So, right, " I think I may have reached my keeper".

It is: the Sophia Electric 91-01 300B Monoblocks;- with:
    tubes:
    Princess 300B
    Sophia 6SN7
    Shuguang 5Z3PA.

91-01 300B (a).jpg

Had to get a balanced step down transformer coz it has US voltage (120v);-
    https://airlinktransformers.com/prod...supply-bps0508
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm paul.

my new sophia electric 91-01 300B has those shuguang OEM rectifiers, and I am thinking of rolling them, but as the rectifier isn't in the signal path I wondered if it would be worth the extra money?

Does anyone have any tube recommendations?

The sophia 274b is ridiculous expensive for a rectifier, as is the western electrics & PSVane's replica version

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

I'm paul.

Right, so, anyway; Having read a warning about 274b substitutes for the Sophia I have decided to stay clear of them!!

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=2642

UPDATE! I got a message from Sue at Sophia Electric warning against using the 274B rectifier in the Sophia Electric 91-01 300B mono amplifiers. Here’s

Sue’s message:

Hi Jeff,
    I very much enjoy your latest blog and would like to contribute some supplementary information for your reference.

Sophia Electric 91-01 amplifiers use 22uf value for the first capacitor in the power supply. That is smaller than the industry popular use of 47uf. However, to use 274B for long term, WE requires the first cap after 274B to be 4uf or smaller. Sophia Electric 274B requires the cap to no larger than 8uf to achieve long term use. 22uf may work in most situations, however, it may shorten the 274B lifespan (like cigarette is harmful for health) and pose danger to the amplifier (occasionally, it can blow out fuses or caps if not follow the rule). Thus, Sophia Electric would not recommend to use any 274B in Sophia Electric 91-01 amplifiers. The long term the most reliable, the most beautiful sounding and the most cost efficient choice is the NOS rectifier supplied by Sophia Electric and recommended by Jeff Day in his previous blogs.

Best regards,
    Sue

So there you have it, ixnay on the 274B rectifier in the Sophia Electric 91-01, so I’ll be sticking with the rectifiers Sophia Electric recommends. It’s one of those fortunate situations: the 274B works fine in the Fi 300B mono amplifiers electrically, but because of its oversize ST bottle shape, in will not fit in the chassis cutout of the Fi, which will only accept up to an ST-16 bottle size (the bottle used in NOS RCA, Tung Sol, and so forth). So if any of you have amps that are compatible with the 274B be sure to let me know how it sounds, as my first impressions here were very positive, but I don’t want to risk damaging my beloved Sophia 91-01 amps, so the 274B rectifiers will be retired from service until something compatible comes along.

I have ordered some: NOS, Pair RCA JAN CRC 5Z3 Rectifiers, Matched Date Codes, 1959, Black plates, rectangular hanging getter.

RCA JAN CRC 5Z3 Rectifier (b) .jpg

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm Mark.

Stunning looking amps, and by all acounts a very nice sound

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshireman View Post
    Stunning looking amps, and by all acounts a very nice sound
    Thanks! I'll let you know once I get it set up properly!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

A word about the Shuguang 5Z3PAT:

http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=2544

When I reviewed the Sophia Electric Model 91-01 300B mono amplifiers for Positive Feedback Online back in January 2011 – which I purchased after the review – they came with NOS vintage Chinese JAN grade 5Z3PA rectifiers.
    I am just now realizing how good these rectifiers are as I’ve been comparing them to other NOS and currently available rectifiers. I would like to say the vintage NOS RCAs are better, because that’s often the word on the street, but that’s just not the case, as the 5Z3PA pretty much slaughters it.
    I should probably explain that last statement a little more. If your only measure of a vacuum tube is audiophile parameters like transparency, detail recovery, and the like, you might very well prefer the RCA.
    However, on musically meaningful criteria like truth of timbre; portrayal of saturated tonal colours; the way melody, rhythm, and tempo, are portrayed; the humanness and expressiveness of voices, the 5Z3PA pretty much stomps the RCA. Now here’s something to think about: the RCA is acknowledged as a great tube, and it is in fact a great tube, but from a musical standpoint, I like the 5Z3PA a lot better.
    It also turns out that the vintage JAN 5Z3PA was used in critical aircraft applications back in the day, just as my FAA tubes were that I discussed in an earlier post, which means they are designed to work well even under difficult conditions, and to keep on working for a long time. It’s been approximately two years since the Sophia Electric 91-01 mono amps were sent to me for review, and those 5Z3PA rectifiers are still going strong.
    Richard said these vintage 5Z3PA tubes were designed to compete and to replace RCA 5U4G during the cold war. During Chairman Mao’s time, making a low quality tube was an instant “crime of anti-revolutionary”. Therefore, you can trust Mil Grade tubes from that period of time for reliability. Please note that this cold war military production is quite different from Several Chinese current productions, which bear the similar name but not related.
    So here’s the deal: if you’ve got a pair of Sophia Electric 91-01 300B mono amps, or a pair of Fi 300B mono amps, or any other amps that can accept a 5U4G rectifier, you’ve got to give these 5Z3PA rectifiers tubes a listen – I really think they’re something special.
    Best regards,
    Sue

I am buying the RCA 5Z3 to compare and see which I personally prefer.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

see: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...tion-of-noise!

the sophias were returned due to buzz.

I now have the John Wood 6L6 (only 2 were made & both purchasers are now deceased!) via a bereavement sale.

There is a minimal buzz on the input transformer which is ONLY audible through the speakers if you 'jam' your ear right on it!!

The music is sensational and authentic with the John Wood patented design!!

He explained that the buzz was due to the metal used and his later models use a more suitable metal for the 'plates' (i.e. grade and thickness). The model I got does not suffer any degradation in music sound quality what-so-ever! He gave the amp a full health check in his laboratory and optimally adjusted valve bias etc. FOR FREE!! Now sounds sublime!

s-l1600 (2).jpg

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/5...ohn-wood-amps/
    Last edited by the_doc735; 09-09-2017 at 21:50.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

...the monopulse 'A' 2 way speakers are still sensational!!

"BUT!" ~ I fancy an experiment with a thicker, fuller, middle rich sound.

So, I am taking delivery of the Wilson Benesch Actor 3 way system ($6500). Tweeter, bass, & MID -bass.

Wilson Benesch Actor.jpg

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm Martin.

Tasty speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Tasty speakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345