+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: changes

I'm paul.

Lightbulb changes

Hi to everyone (& those who have interacted with me in threads previously)...

What have I been up to?

Some changes to the set up:

ARCAM FMJ-A19 + Tacima CS947, ...the Arcam has been replaced with a used Naim UnitiQute.
    Tannoy DC6T Speakers, the Tannoy's have been replaced with a pair of MonoPulse 'S' speakers.
    Tannoy TS10 Subwoofer + Tacima CS947,
    Sennheiser HD 558 headset,
    Arcam Miniblink DAC + iFI iPOWER, ...don't need this as the UnitiQute has a built-in DAC.
    HP Pavilion G6* - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU
    + Creative BT-D1 [+ Azio BTD-V401]; ....this has been replaced with a iFI Ilink (USB to Optical/coaxial converter).
    [*using onboard battery for music listening]
    + Audio Software [Room EQ Wizard, Equalizer APO, media players].

May put some pics up?
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, Paul, please do, as that's generally the point of this section of the forum...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, Paul, please do, as that's generally the point of this section of the forum...

Marco.
    OK - many thanks!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

I'm paul.

Thumbs up

up date on what's been happening:
    the Naim Unitiqute was replaced with a Leema Acoustics Elements Integrated Amp (also with built in DAC). The uniti got under my skin because it was very fiddly and faffy ~ too many options and clocks and stuff, needed something more basic, so the Elements seemed a good idea but I didn't like the Wolfsen Dac in it, too bland. So, next I thought of trying some home made gear from very small companies!! So, I got an MB Tube Dac P1 + stepped attenuator P01 and added a Baldwin 405 clone power amp with separate power supply stage.
    Unfortunately, the” brand new” Tube DAC, consisted of many used parts including the case itself, build quality was poor with unsoldered components and cables, so that was returned!!
    Sadly, after just eight days the 405 clone broke down and would not switch on any more!! So that also was returned.
    I then thought I would try a pre + power amp (separates) set up. So, I got a Audiolab M-DAC which doubles as a pre-amp + MCRU/LONGDOG AUDIO POWER SUPPLY.
    On the power side I decided to invest in some rega classic Exon monoblocks (a nice pair).
    I no longer use the Ifi Ilink (USB to Optical/Coax) converter as I am going straight from the USB laptop to the M-DAC USB.

That's all folks!!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

Thumbs up

Audiolab M-DAC which doubles as a pre-amp + MCRU/LONGDOG AUDIO POWER SUPPLY. +
    Rega Classic Exon Monoblocks.
    MonoPulse 'S' speakers.
    Tannoy TS10 Subwoofer.
    HP Pavilion G6* - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU [*using onboard battery for music listening].
    Tacima CS947.
    + Audio Software [Room EQ Wizard, Equalizer APO, media players].
    Interconnects: OFC/SC 2.5mm core. Military XLR’s throughout. QED ‘USB to DAC’. Standard ‘mains’.

DSCN2555.jpg
    DSCN2556.jpg
    DSCN2557.jpg
    DSCN2558.jpg
    Last edited by the_doc735; 21-04-2016 at 14:59. Reason: pics added

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

UPDATES:

After persevering with the Exon’s for ‘a while’ I decided that they were making the sound far too brittle and harsh for my ears, so sadly they had to go. I wanted warmer and sweeter sound so plumped for the Sugden A21a power amp. Very nice, no problem apart from the enormous heat!! In fact I liked it so much, getting close to a valve sound – without valves, after short deliberation I decided the next move had to be full on valves. So up for sale is the Sugden and in comes the Cayin Lyric Ti60 integrated valve amp, great up to now folks!!

Out goes the Tannoy TS10 (gamer/5.1/7.1 theatre) sub, and in comes the REL Stampede (“at last – a sub designed for stereo hi fi music”); it even looks like a piece of hi fi equipment too! ~ I have to say the sound is spot on and does indeed integrate better into the stereo field than many other subs I have heard, a lot of subs just seem detached from the main speakers altogether, but this one really does blend in very nicely once adjusted properly!

Connecting the laptop directly to the DAC via USB caused lots of system crashes and failures!! So, out went the QED USB interconnect and in comes the QED Reference Coaxial/RCA (purple) + M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF Converter.

On the software side out goes the “Room EQ Wizard & Equalizer APO”. In comes the pas-products Graphic Equalizer Studio 2016 (Graphic Eq. /Spectrum Analyzer /Compressor /Limiter package).

Interconnects: Chord Clearway, QED Reference Audio 1 RCA/Phono (red), QED Reference Coaxial/RCA (purple), ISOkinetik ISOmain, mains cables throughout with Busmann Gold Fuses. Chord Speakon Connector Cable.

Audiolab M-DAC which doubles as a pre-amp + MCRU/LONGDOG AUDIO POWER SUPPLY. +
    Cayin Lyric Ti60.
    MonoPulse 'S' speakers.
    REL Stampede Subwoofer.
    HP Pavilion G6* - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU [*using onboard battery for music listening].
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF Converter.
    Tacima CS947.

+ Audio Software [Graphic Equalizer Studio PRO 2016 + media players].

Interconnects: Chord Clearway, QED Reference Audio 1 RCA/Phono (red), QED Reference Coaxial/RCA (purple), ISOkinetik ISOmain, mains cables throughout with Busmann Gold Fuses. Chord Speakon Connector Cable.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm Martin.

What have you found with the positioning of the sub? That's the toughest part.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andr'e.

Nice Keith Emerson Avatar

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What have you found with the positioning of the sub? That's the toughest part.
    Yes! Luckily REL offer support info on how to position the Sub (i.e. pulling it diagonally from the corner of a room whilst listening to a bass track until it sounds how you want it) + other parameters (low/high pass, slam/depth, frequency, phase). Unfortunately, at the current time my 'room' is rather full of clutter and needs a good clear out soon; so, I am 'limited' for space and the Sub is sitting between the main speakers in front of the artificial fire place BUT still sounds good despite this problem. Cheers!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual-Symmetry View Post
    Nice Keith Emerson Avatar
    Thanx! ~ yours seems humorous! - sorry if it's not meant to be, no offence. Cheers!

....your last one that is! - Love your new MARS one.
    Last edited by the_doc735; 16-06-2016 at 20:27.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast