+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Celestion Ditton 25 and 44 Refurbs

I'm Geoff.

I wouldn't worry too much. Suspension sag seems to affect larger drivers most. Usually low resonance types with soft, pliant surrounds.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Michael.

Thanks Geoff. And thanks again for the advice. I had another go with the hair dryer earlier. Made it worse again at first, but with a bit of patience I've got it just about perfect.

The speakers are sounding really good now. I'm probably just imagining it (because I've read so much about needing to burn in capacitors), but I think there is an improvement now, compared to straight after I did them. Or maybe it's just that one of the speakers isn't distorted anymore!

I'm going to take a look at the 25s at the weekend.

I'm Geoff.

Yes. I've made it worse occasionally. It's a method of curing binding coils I've used quite a few times. Many years ago I bought a batch of old Decca bass drivers. Half of them had rubbing cones and I fixed them with a hairdryer. It's a method I devised myself at that time (seemed pretty obvious to me).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Hi Madders,
    Hope you don't mind me asking how you got on doing the refurbishment on your 44's ? I am in need of little advice about mine , basically I have no feed to the tweeters .
    Regards
    Andy

I'm Michael.

Hi Andy,

I've been listening to my 25s the last few weeks, trying to decide if it's worth recapping them or not.

I finished the 44s and they sound very good.

I'm not sure how much I can help you - I don't really know that much. If you've got the same problem with both tweeters, it seems more likely the issue is with your amp. The wiring inside the speakers is really simple, so it's easy to check the connections between the terminals and the tweeter. You can also test the resistance across the tweeter with a multimeter to see if it's faulty - I think it should be 8ohms.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    Hi Michael,

Your speakers look to be good examples.

I've tried the DIYAudio mods for the 44's using Jantzen CrossCaps and I've recapped them with Alcaps but now use Mundorf E-Caps with a small Ansar Supersound for the mids, Alcaps for bass (although I will try Mundorfs at some point) and Ansar Supersound for the tweeter (I have used Clarity Caps for the tweeter and found Ansars to be a better tonal fit for the speakers).
    And at are my favourite cap without a doubt

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual-Symmetry View Post
    And at are my favourite cap without a doubt
    I now know why and you've never been shy about recommending them for Celestions http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...304#post214304. A pity I took the long way round, ~£60 per re-cap, 2-4 hours to do the work and 100+ hours of burn in equals a lot of wasted time! Andr'e may appear to be a noob but there aren't many members here with his knowledge of vintage HiFi, listen to the Reformed One
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234