+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In the mancave.

I'm gone.

I recall a dem of that hifi rack at the Bristol show several years ago.
    Significant improvement was heard from the previous model in the range. And that had been better than a wooden shelf.
    Not cheap, though.

It seemed to be about staging and airiness as much as anything else. I was impressed.
    Last edited by jandl100; 26-03-2016 at 07:28.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    Wow,Alan, Allison speakers. I remember them and they must be rare today. Albert Henshaw at Bespoke Audio used to sell them and he used to drive them with Albarry Mono amps. Is this where you got the amps and speakers from? I always fancied a pair of Allison speakers but couldn't afford them at the time. I had to settle for Arc 101's. Any body remember them? Great system!
    The Allison 6 concept lives on, only they're made of thick Perspex now and have far more modern drive units I never had the chance to hear the larger models sadly back in the day.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Deleted.

Wow,Alan, Allison speakers. I remember them and they must be rare today. Albert Henshaw at Bespoke Audio used to sell them and he used to drive them with Albarry Mono amps. Is this where you got the amps and speakers from? I always fancied a pair of Allison speakers but couldn't afford them at the time. I had to settle for Arc 101's. Any body remember them? Great system!
    I have a pair of Allison 6s (lovely oiled walnut finish) though they aren't currently in use (I have fond memories of 101s too .
    Account Deleted

I'm Alan.

Yes Micheal, I worked at Bespoke Audio with Albert and those are the speakers I bought in 1983, I drove them with Albarry M408's.
    The Albarry's I have now are the new kit, although I'm waiting to have the M1108's upgraded to Series 2 status, they are the best I've heard so far,the Allison 6's still sound great, I remember the Arc 101's, but I can't remember what they sounded like, but if Bespoke sold them they would be very good.

Did you know Albarry was named after Albert and Barry of Bespoke Audio.

cheers Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by trio leo View Post
    Yes Micheal, I worked at Bespoke Audio with Albert and those are the speakers I bought in 1983, I drove them with Albarry M408's.
    The Albarry's I have now are the new kit, although I'm waiting to have the M1108's upgraded to Series 2 status, they are the best I've heard so far,the Allison 6's still sound great, I remember the Arc 101's, but I can't remember what they sounded like, but if Bespoke sold them they would be very good.

Did you know Albarry was named after Albert and Barry of Bespoke Audio.

cheers Al
    Yes, I heard the 'Albert & Barry' quip from another dealer in the area although at the time I took it with ' a pinch of salt!' Bespoke Audio had some great Hi-Fi products at the time. They had some great valve amps. I think Beard was one of the brands that they stocked but there was another and I cannot remember the name of the brand but it was expensive and sounded great with the Allison speakers ( and my Arc 101's ). The Arc speakers were marketed as 'active/passive and the X overs plugged in the back of the speaker and you removed them if you wanted to go active. Some firms made X overs for them, Nytech being one of them and I used to have the Nytech 252. I bought a Tresham 302 system from Bespoke and I was happy with this for years until it went bang. I think that Bespoke were ahead of their time and Naim was all the rage at the time even though they were not the best available even then.

I'm Michael.

Alan, if you're still out there can you tell me ( us ) more about your Allison speakers? For instance the 3's are designed to work from room corners which is highly unusual today. You have had those speakers for a long period of time and you haven't changed them for anything more modern and I wonder what your views are comparing the Allisons to modern speakers?

I'm Alan.

Hi, Michael,
    I still have the 3's because they are just so good, I've had years of enjoyment from them, I like the large stage image they portray.

On visiting my local HiFi shop I've heard many, very good speakers and thoroughly enjoyed them, but at the £000's they cost nowadays I'm happy to stay with the 3's and tbf I enjoy the 6's every now and again, they punch well above their weight.

The reference system we had at Bespoke was Trio LO7D t/table, EMT cartridge, Trio LO7C Pre-amp, Trio LO5M Mono-blocs and Allison's, usually 1's, the 1's were 2 x 3's in effect back to back, 12 drivers in total, the 1's were better than the 3's at some things, a bit smoother on classical stuff, but the 3's had a bit more punch on Rock type music, but I'd be happy with either or even the 2's.

On listening to the system one day, Neil Burnett, drew a schematic on a scrap of paper and said "that'll beat the the LO5M's" so Albert said "go on then, build it them" so he did build them and they were better than the LO5's and that was the birth of Albarry, the Allison/Albarry M408 combo was legendary and filled rooms at the shows.

cheers Al
    My system,

Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    RCM Okki Nokki

I'm Alan.

The LP that is on the 124 isn't being played, it's actually being used as a mat, it's a very thin record, I've tried thicker ones but they slowed things down sonically.

The next thing I want to do is place another level on the ReVo stand and put the 124 on top, so I will be down to 1 stand in between the speakers.

Then when I can afford it I will have the Albarry M1108's upgraded to Series 2 status.

Enjoy your music

cheers Al
    My system,

RCM Okki Nokki

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234