Thread: LPs in Sainsbury's

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This is also a fab album, from 1966:

Marco.
    Agreed.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Pink Floyd, Mothers of Invention (Zappa), Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Bob Dylan, The Who? Any of that pre-1967 music float ya boat?

Marco.
    They certainly float mine! I have stuff by all of them.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Pink Floyd, Mothers of Invention (Zappa), Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Bob Dylan, The Who? Any of that pre-1967 music float ya boat?

Marco.
    I do have some pre '67 Marvin Gaye. Only Who album I like is 'Who's Next' which is what, 1970? I have got Blonde On Blonde but I'm not that keen on it. Zappa first album was 1966 but I don't have it.

Listening to Classical just makes me think of adverts and old cartoons. Can't help it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

I do have the Bluesbreakers album with Eric Clapton. Not a bad record that but still sounds dated.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting... "Dated" in what way, as opposed to, say, how other blues or jazz albums from 1967 (or after) aren't?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

I should flog my collection of late sixties and seventies LP's. I'd probably get enough money to retire on....................Hang on, I am retired!

I'm Martin.

Interesting... "Dated" in what way, as opposed to, say, how other blues or jazz albums from 1967 (or after) aren't?

Marco.
    In that it sounds like an 'early' record whereas jazz and (delta) blues sounds timeless, or outside of time.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Blimey, it's been a busy 24 hours on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    The two latest Bob Stanley compilations were released last week, a Hank Marvin compilation and a synth pop compilation. They had them in my local Sainsburys but I'm not interested in them.
    Thanks for the update, I looked about 3 weeks ago so must've just missed these. Not a great synthpop fan myself, but any album with B-Movie's "Nowhere Girl" is worth a thought. They're already asking £35 on eBay !

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    he was a music journo as well as a player. think he wrote about something else too but cant remember
    Yep, he was in St. Etienne (the band, not the losing 1976 European Cup finalists).

Pete

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    In that it sounds like an 'early' record whereas jazz and (delta) blues sounds timeless, or outside of time.
    Fair enough; it just sounds 'down and dirty'/groovy to me.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Blimey, it's been a busy 24 hours on this thread.

Thanks for the update, I looked about 3 weeks ago so must've just missed these. Not a great synthpop fan myself, but any album with B-Movie's "Nowhere Girl" is worth a thought. They're already asking £35 on eBay !

Yep, he was in St. Etienne (the band, not the losing 1976 European Cup finalists).

Pete
    There were plenty in my local yesterday if you want one posted.

Interestingly (to me at least) if you look at the uk album chart update vinyl sales (before I get flamed for mentioning the charts I am not a follower of the charts but it was mentioned by someone on twitter) the two small faces albums that have exclusives in Sainsburys are currently 6 and 7 and the Zombies no 14 so Sainsburys appear to be shifting a reasonable number. That said with so many stores they probably only need to shift a few in each where they are sold.

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...-albums-chart/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast