+ Reply to Thread

Thread: thorens belt

I'm Phil.

Default thorens belt

Hi all,

I have been running my TD160 with a non Thorens belt and the speed has been spot on. However, the speed change isn't working when i switch to 45rpm and I have read that this is almost certainly the fault of the non-standard belt. My question to you is do i need to buy an actual Thorens belt or are the Thakker reproductions suitable?

Thanks,
    Phil

I'm Geoff.

Have you checked that the belt is not too tight? That can cause speed changing problems. Most belts have a bit of give in them and can be stretched a little if need be.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

[QUOTE=MarginWalker;742467]Hi all,

I have been running my TD160 with a non Thorens belt and the speed has been spot on. However, the speed change isn't working when i switch to 45rpm and I have read that this is almost certainly the fault of the non-standard belt. My question to you is do i need to buy an actual Thorens belt or are the Thakker reproductions suitable?
    I had exactly the same problem after changing a belt some time ago.
    It was caused by following advice that I had read which suggested applying some talc powder to the belt.
    I removed the talc and everything worked perfectly and has done for many years since.

Pete.

I'm Grant.

Thakker belts are good... Ive had some in past.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm keith.

Had the same problem when i bought my 160, i found giving the sub platter a wipe with some alcohol worked.

I ended up buying a replacement belt anyway but the speed change worked fine on the previous belt after a clean.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Thakker belts are good... Ive had some in past.
    I thought so until the one I was using on my TD124 suddenly lost all its elasticity . I only fitted it a year or so ago.

My mistake - in a moment of parsimony I bought a couple of Thakker belts from either Amazon or eBay (can't remember which), whereas I should have bought them from Schopper (at twice the price). I have just fitted a Schopper sourced belt and we're up and spinning again.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Had there ones too Not had any probs with any I've bought so far but I replaced belt every year minimum
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Phil.

Thanks for all the advice chaps. I have also been recommended someone called Fredhifi on fleabay http://ebay.eu/1q5hkVD anyone have any experience of him and his belts?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Had there ones too Not had any probs with any I've bought so far but I replaced belt every year minimum
    Is there a recommended time after which drive belts need to be replaced? My deck is a Thorens 124, which uses a hybrid belt/idler drive: the motor drives the speed change step pulley through a belt, which then drives the platter rim via an idler wheel. As such, the belt in this arrangement travels quicker than it would in an all-belt drive TT.

Do you think this makes a difference? I've had that particular 124 for nearly forty years and this is the fourth belt change. It was the suddeness of the faliure that surprised me: halfway through one side of the record, the speed suddenly dropped to about half what it should be!
    Barry

I'm Grant.

its an elastic band and it's properties change with temp, stress etc. I have changed several that are working fine, but size when checked is sightly elongated. Think every year is a reasonable service time, unless you use it a lot then 6 months.. it does a lot of work and is pretty important to be right size and elastic properties.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread