View Poll Results: Would you like to have a reward system?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 7.89%
  • No

35 92.11%
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding this forum

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Apart from the OP, who else has voted 'Yes'? Come on, 'fess up!

Marco.
    It says who voted which way on the poll results!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've no idea what you are trying to say other than 'forums are a bit like real life'.
    That implies that forum are not 'real life', but in fact they are.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    It says who voted which way on the poll results!
    Hadn't looked up until now... I forgot it gave you that info.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    However, there is a relatively small number of regular posters who know each other, share private jokes and generally support each other's views - in that sense they are a clique - at least that is my perception.
    We have already discussed the subjectivists and subjectivists at great length. But I would not go as far as to describe either of those groups as a clique, not withstanding the opposing views expressed by one group of people versus another group.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Hmm.. Perhaps 'clique' in the context of this forum isn't the right term as it suggests a number of smaller groups acting within a larger whole. However, there is a relatively small number of regular posters who know each other, share private jokes and generally support each other's views - in that sense they are a clique - at least that is my perception.
    I think that's mostly just your perception, but I do know where you're coming from. I think that perception largely stems from the banter amongst the mods and some of the 'Scottish mafia'!

And yes, there are a reasonable number of 'mods' here, but that's only because we like to reward those who contribute greatly to the success of the forum and selflessly offer their help and advice, so they become a 'Moderator', but not because there's much moderating to be done.

It's more about them being part of a 'team' who shape the development of the forum and help run it. Unfortunately, the software doesn't allow for 'promoting' members any other way, so in order to be given any authority (ability to move or delete posts/threads, etc), members of the team have to become 'Moderators'.

There are also rather more than a small number of regular posters (several hundred in that category in fact), although like most forums the 'active membership' is a small percentage of the total members registered. The key stat for any successful forum is the number of different members, outside of that category, who pop in for a look or to post something, so the names in the 'Users Online' list, regulars aside, are constantly changing on a daily basis.

Like I said, the perception of the "small number of regular posters"/'clique' thing comes largely from the input of the mods (team leaders), and the most prolific regular posters, and the fact that in most cases we all know each other (have a similar sense of humour) and are good friends. However, as I'm party to the stats, I can assure you that there's a lot more going on than that, often in areas of the forum and in discussions that may not be of any interest to you personally

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Think the vote is pretty conclusive?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Yeah, in that respect the thread could be closed. However, before I do that I'll wait to see if anyone else has got something that they want to say

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Richard.

Blimey, is this still going? I've been over on diyAudio hurting my brain (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes...6-pre-amp.html) so missed the afternoon's entertainment.
    I don't find this forum cliquey as such, but let's be honest; Marco keeps quite a tight rein on proceedings. He seems to get involved in lots of threads, so his personality is quite strong here. Which is fine, unless Scottish independence or Richard D**n are involved, in which case the forum rules are out of the window!
    I post here mainly because it is quite relaxed and friendly, and the cliqueyness is kept at bay, but there will always be a forum "personality". The Wam has changed it's personality recently, and for the better in my opinion, so I spend time there again.
    And as far as technical help is concerned (hello again firebottle!) diyAudio is phenomenal, I'm getting offers I just can't keep up with, but it is intense; I feel quite stupid over there. This forum is more relaxed.
    ABD.

I'm Deleted.

Stanley, my comments don't resonate with your own because I was not, in any way, referring to subjectivist V objectivist standpoints.

Marco, I think your summary is pretty much spot on.
    Account Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    I don't find this forum cliquey as such, but let's be honest; Marco keeps quite a tight rein on proceedings. He seems to get involved in lots of threads, so his personality is quite strong here.
    I think that's a fair point, Richard. I know a lot of people here either personally, or from 'the old days' elsewhere, and so will interact with them on that basis. I also like to encourage/praise others in their various 'hi-fi journeys', so will often contribute to discussions on that basis, even if the topic isn't necessarily something that interests me. Above all though, when it comes to hi-fi, I'll only comment authoritatively on subjects that I genuinely know something about.

Marco.
    Main System

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast