+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop

I'm James.

Default Pop

Afternoon all, can anyone tell me why I hear a slight pop from my speakers when I switch my amp on?quad 306 I've just tried using my LiTE ah DAC and the pop was quite loud,made me jump!! Nothings broken should I be worried? Cheers Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It's quite normal for there to be a dull 'thump' sound on switch on. I get it with my Quad 405s. Your 306 uses similar circuitry.
    Barry

I'm James.

Cheers Barry,why do you think the pop was pretty loud when I introduced the lite DAC? Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Grant.

You can get that with some dacs usually just b4 they lock on... Can be noisy... One of mine did it and i always made sure it was on another channel til it locked. If its a thump then thats slightly different and can have differing causes
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Thanks Grant, I may try again, I was a little worried that the speakers might have been damaged as it was quite loud,I was very close to the speakers at the time though

I'm Grant.

If dac has a switch for different inputs you can sometimes avoid it by switching to one thats not being used.. Otherwise have amp on say phono or something the dac isnt connected to. Once it up and running locked etc it will be ok. I kinda got used to doing this with that dac. It can sound loud.. Or just turn volume right down.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Yes I can switch to the unused input,I'm not sure the pre was switched on,can't recall now

I'm Martin.

Always switch on your pre - then your power. I found that out the hard way. Some kit it doesn't matter and some it does.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Always switch on your pre - then your power. I found that out the hard way. Some kit it doesn't matter and some it does.
    Do you know why this happens Macca? Did you end up damaging some of your gear?

I'm Martin.

I blew some fuses on some stuff I had on demo. It was no big deal in the end but I was used to Linn amps for a long time and it didn't matter with that equipment. (LK1 and LK100)

Doesn't matter now I use a passive pre. But with an active it is standard practice. When switching off, switch off the power amp first. Pre first on power up.

EDIT as to why it happens I'm not sure. You are supposed to give the pre a couple of seconds to stabilise as well, before switching on the power. But with some kit this doesn't matter - still it is worth getting in the habit if you box-swap.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast