+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is an appropriate Bit Rate for Exact Audio Copy?

I'm Aaron.

Question What is an appropriate Bit Rate for Exact Audio Copy?

When ripping a CD to MP3 in Exact Audio Copy, under the EAC & Compression Options tab you are able to select a required Bit Rate.

This can range from 96 kBit/sec to 320 kBit/sec or Variable 96 kBit/sec to Variable 192 kBit/sec. Can anyone explain what is the optimum to choose and why please? I imagine that 96 kBit/sec is too low and 320 kBit/sec is way over the top.

I do realise that neither CDs or MP3 format are not exactly Audiophile quality. However, FLAC doesn't appear to be widely supported and you can get a shedload of music onto a USB memory stick to carry around in the car.

I'm keith.

What makes you say FLAC isnt widely supported?

Personally it depends where im going to be listening to the music. If its on my mp3 player or in the car i tend to rip to 320 but if at home it will be FLAC

I'm Aaron.

My car radio Mobile Device Interface can playback MP3s from a USB memory stick but not FLACs. I believe that this is also true of most low end PVRs and BluRay players and mobile 'phones?

As it happens, the "MP3" player that I use (Sansa Fuze) does support FLACs and that is what I have stored on it.

I may be entirely missing the point and I don't know how to do the relevant calculations but isn't 320 kBit/sec excessive for encoding a frequency range that will top out at 22 kHz anyhow?

I'm keith.

so do it at 192 and save the space

I'm Grant.

I copy everything to a lossless format...flac being my preferred one ... If i want to play a file on a non flac machine which there aint many now, then i can run off a copy at , whatever i need or want and still have the original. 320 is way better than 192 on music i listen to, although on some styles of music or poorer recordings, it may not matter so much. Depends on what your listening it through as well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If you have the space, use the highest bit rates for best sound quality.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Aaron.

I have found some interesting observations:
    Using a bit rate of 128 Kbps usually results in a sound quality equivalent to what you'd hear on the radio. Many music sites and blogs urge people to use a bit rate of 160 Kbps or higher if they want the MP3 file to have the same sound quality as a CD. (LINK)
    and

The absolute lowest MP3 bit rate you should consider is 128kbps. This was often referred to as being CD quality, but it's far from being so. This bit rate will allow you to get much more music on to your MP3 player but you'll sacrifice a great deal of audio quality as a result. If you use the headphones that came with your player and don't listen to that much music, 128kbps will probably suffice for you.

The happy medium between small file sizes and true CD quality audio is a 256kbps bit rate. This offers vastly superior sound quality over 128kbps, without eating up too much disk space. The difference in quality between 128kbps and 256kbps is vast and immediately obvious -- your favourite tunes encoded at 256kbps will sound stunning in comparison to the same tracks encoded at 128kbps.
    One final consideration should be to encode MP3s using a 'variable bit rate' instead of a 'constant bit rate'. Using VBR allows the MP3 encoder to use lower bit rates during quieter or less complex parts of a song, and significantly higher bit rates during more complex sections. This allows you to have a file of greater quality but without pushing file sizes up too much. (LINK)
    I suspect that when they talk about "Radio quality" they are not talking about Radio 3 on FM!

I guess that the obvious / significant difference between high and low bit rates is going to be in terms of dynamic range?

I'm Martin.

I think Radio 3 is usually 256

For CD quality you want 320 non-variable.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Will.

Treat yourself to dbPoweramp, rip your CDs in FLAC to a HD, then batch convert them to mp3/vbr on a USB stick...

VBR 192 mp3 is a good compromise for quality and size

Ripping is something you don't want to repeat, so don't miss out the FLAC stage...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Neil.

320kbps or 256kbps for portable audio, and lossless for HiFi. Any decent system will benefit from that last touch of refinement and 'air' in the top end that lossless gives, but no way can I notice it on my phone or in-car...

When I did listening tests differences became more apparent at 192 and below, so IME staying at 256 and above does make the files very close to lossless.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast