Closed Thread
Page 232 of 1039 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332732 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 10389

Thread: Bargains on ebay?

I'm Mark.

When I had the fronts off it only happened when I tapped the magnet. Just waiting of the seller to get back to me. I've told him they are only worth £20 to me.
    Not the end of the world if they go back and I get refunded. I should be saving for a new preamp and an rcm.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingdong View Post
    I've got a spare set, but £74 is too much for a pair with blown Coles. I was thinking £20 would be more appropriate. What do you think?
    When I had them hooked up yesterday I could sometimes hear a bit of a rattle. When I took the fronts off to measure the drivers I noticed that when you tap the magnet of the woofer it sounds as though something is loose.
    Bugger! I sold four off new, unused, Coles 4001 tweeters (15 Ohm versions) to a 'new' member about a year ago for £15 each. Never heard from him again!

Would have much preferred to have sold a couple to you. But you probably don't wan't to hear that.

Good to know that the Coles are still available - and actually £74 is a reasonable price for a pair.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Mark.

Just got a response from the seller to say that he will offer me £30 as half the cost of a used pair of Coles off ebay. Then went on to say that I might have swapped them for faulty ones.
    Shouldn't have paid cash for stuff on ebay I suppose. Would've been a bit easier with Paypal. He lives just round the corner from my parents so I might nip round and have a quiet word this weekend.

I'm Nobody.

Honestly i cannot think of anything within the construction of those drive units that could rattle!

I'm Mark.

If I end up keeping them I'll investigate further. He wouldn't do any more than offer a £30 refund so I've opened a case with ebay. Not hoping for much as I paid cash, but I'll see what I can do. He's now told me I could have swapped a faulty pair of Coles in. Silly twat.

I'm Alex.

My recent purchase of a pair of DM2a's turns out not be such a good deal. Both Coles are stuffed and one of the woofers rattles. Seller being a bit arsey about returning them. Four pairs were probably too many anyway. I did fancy a veneered fronted pair though.
    I bought an immaculate looking pair of DM2a's and both Coles supertweeters were of no use. I did not even bother to get back to the seller. Probably to him the speakers worked fine. You are unluckier, having a faulty bass unit as well.

I tend to think that the midrange of the DM4 is slightly more detailed than the DM2a's.

Have been wanting to try the DM4 bass unit and crossover in the DM2a, but not got round to it.
    Spendorman

I'm Mark.

I haven't yet heard a pair of DM4's. I would guess that the Dm2's have a better bass. How do they compare, in your opinion, to other speakers using the Celestion/Coles combination?

I'm Alex.

I haven't yet heard a pair of DM4's. I would guess that the Dm2's have a better bass. How do they compare, in your opinion, to other speakers using the Celestion/Coles combination?
    I prefer the DM4's to Spendor BC1's, bass better controlled and to me, a less coloured midrange. Bass is not too bad, DM2/DM2a's go down lower. But the DM4 is a nice size and compromise.
    Spendorman

I'm Mark.

The DM2's are quite big lumps in my small living room, which is at a guess 5x4m. But they sound bloody good and there's no wife to be complaining about them.
    They are sat on a pair of Target R2's which seem to work well with them.
    I've got an idea to replace the binding posts and renew the crossover caps in one of the pairs as an experiment.

I'm Alex.

The DM2's are quite big lumps in my small living room, which is at a guess 5x4m. But they sound bloody good and there's no wife to be complaining about them.
    They are sat on a pair of Target R2's which seem to work well with them.
    I've got an idea to replace the binding posts and renew the crossover caps in one of the pairs as an experiment.
    I have never found an out of spec capacitor in DM1, DM2, DM2a, DM3, DM4, DM5 all of which I have and several pairs of some. The inductors are of good quality and as long as the connections to the binding post are clean and tight, nothing wrong with them either.

Some other B&W speakers use reversible electrolytic capacitors, those will probably need replacing, certainly if over 10 years old.
    Spendorman

Closed Thread