Closed Thread
Page 224 of 1039 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324724 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 10389

Thread: Bargains on ebay?

I'm Juha.

Just had to bid on this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And I got it for £5.50. Just don't know what to do with it because the replacement stylus is eye watering expensive.

Audio Note IQ3 stylus £450
    Audio Note IQ2 stylus £258

Has anyone heard this cartridge before and is it worth to buy the replacement stylus?
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Nice one mate, it's not that often now you get a real bargain on the bay.
    Cheers, Ali. Along with the GE 5691 (and CV1985), the 6SL7GTYs are, IMO, the best sounding 6SL7 tube there is - and to get them at that price was incredible!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye, ye lucky bugger! Just shows, if you keep looking, good stuff does come up now and again. Getting rarer though!

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    http://www.speakerrepairshop.com/ind..._id=12&lang=EN

I've bought foams and dust caps from them several times and the quality is excellent.
    Thanks for the info Adam!
    Bernie.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Recently bought off eBay: a Cambridge Audio P50 integrated amplifier.

I have always wanted one of these amplifiers since they first appeared on the market and I started getting involved with Hi-Fi. Not only did they receive very good reviews at the time, what also attracted me was the beautiful elegant styling. Only B&O displayed an equally similar styling.

The elegant, slim, ‘low-profile’ look was achieved by using a toroidal mains transformer. I believe Cambridge Audio were one of the first to use toroidal transformers. I also liked the look of the metal knobs and switches. Again, this was a refreshing change from the cheap plastic ‘toothpaste cap’ knobs used on current equipment at that time (apart from some up-market Japanese designs, but then they used those ugly ‘clunky’ toggle switches).

Being an impecunious student, I simply could not afford to buy one. (In those days I had to build my amplifiers.)

Looks good doesn’t it? It was basically in good condition, with no ‘dings’, scratches or rubbed lettering, but it was not particularly clean. Thanks to a very useful article in the AoS Library: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7659 (), the amp scrubbed up well!

It now joins a Cambridge Audio T55 tuner, in what may become a third system.
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

That looks great Barry. Are you going to assemble the entire system that would have been your heart's desire at the time?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

That's a very attractive looking amplifier for sure Barry and thanks for posting the link too, I had never seen that and may give my old Albarry a once over
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default Quad 303J

A modified Quad 303: the Quad 303J wherein all the connectors are XLR style.

This was advertised on eBay some time ago, and I was watching it. However I forgot about it and the auction ended without a bid. I got in touch with the seller to ask if he was going to re-list, or if he would accept a ‘Buy it Now’ offer equal to the opening bid. However even if the seller had re-listed with a BIN option, I would not have been guaranteed a purchase.

We agreed a private sale, which since it did not involve eBay, allowed the seller to knock £50 off the price.

Surprisingly for an ex-studio item, the amplifier is in excellent cosmetic condition, with no scratches or scuffs whatsoever.

The only difficulty found was the XLR connectors correspond to the American NAB convention, both in gender and wiring, rather than the European CCIR convention. A job with a soldering iron quickly sorted things out!
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Recently bought off eBay: a Cambridge Audio P50 integrated amplifier.

I have always wanted one of these amplifiers since they first appeared on the market and I started getting involved with Hi-Fi. Not only did they receive very good reviews at the time, what also attracted me was the beautiful elegant styling. Only B&O displayed an equally similar styling.

The elegant, slim, ‘low-profile’ look was achieved by using a toroidal mains transformer. I believe Cambridge Audio were one of the first to use toroidal transformers. I also liked the look of the metal knobs and switches. Again, this was a refreshing change from the cheap plastic ‘toothpaste cap’ knobs used on current equipment at that time (apart from some up-market Japanese designs, but then they used those ugly ‘clunky’ toggle switches).

Being an impecunious student, I simply could not afford to buy one. (In those days I had to build my amplifiers.)

Looks good doesn’t it? It was basically in good condition, with no ‘dings’, scratches or rubbed lettering, but it was not particularly clean. Thanks to a very useful article in the AoS Library: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7659 (), the amp scrubbed up well!

It now joins a Cambridge Audio T55 tuner, in what may become a third system.

Well how nice to see one of these after all these years. I used to work in a hifi shop back in the 70's and we sold these then.. and we sold the Quad too of course. Ahh the memories.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Wonderful looking amp, Barry - just my sort of thing!

So other than the Cambridge tuner, what else do you have planned for the third system (indeed, what is your second system, as I don't remember you having mentioned it?)

Will the third system be fronted by a digital or analogue front end, or both? And what speakers do you fancy? Some vintage horns would be nice!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Closed Thread