Closed Thread
Page 1 of 1039 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Bargains on ebay?

I'm ChrisB.

With a wooden sleeve too, not bad eh?

I paid twice that for my Mk II in the early 1990's, but a few years before that, I paid only £40 for a MkIII (just before Hi-Fi World 'broke the news' on them!).

I'm Greg.

Hmmm, I got sucked into the Troughline nonsense for a while and also paid silly money for one with a stereo decoder. I played with it for a long time but in the end concluded there was far too much hype about the Troughline, much of it generated by Noel Keywood of HFW.

I sold mine on and I'm very happy now to be using my relatively vintage Creek 3140 which does everything the Troughline never did. If you're into Troughline, £30 seems about right to me.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    eBay attracts much flack, a lot of it justified, as being a sellers market. But occasionally it can work out well for the buyer. As an example, someone has found a bargain:

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...m=260497515023

I paid about five times the final bid for my Troughline. Doesn’t it make you want to spit?

Here’s hoping the new owner appreciates his good fortune.

Regards
    The way I read the info on that listing someone won on the basis of a PC sniper program; not a lucky bid.

Hate bloody snipers. Nothing wrong in trying yourself, but using a PC program is cheating (sore looser typing here )

Sounds to me Greg that you got a badly aligned Troughline and decoder. Badly matched is not that good, but get them aligned or be lucky when buying the two as I was (bought from Retro Reproductions in Edinburgh) and IMHO/E the combination is magical....however the Japs are coming in a future write up for SOG...will it still be that the case that the Troughline is king ? Answer very soon...I promise....bloody Sansui not coming has buggered the schedule up.

I've been waiting now for 2 months for a Sansui tuner and I think now I have been feed a line about illness in the family etc. I spoke to a Police friend today and at the end of this week I will be passing all the details on to the police in this sellers area...my patience is over.

E-Bay is a very murky pond....don't let the 45 days expire...no matter how plausible the seller and their story is, file the claim and apologise later.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 04-11-2009 at 23:47.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    The way I read the info on that listing someone won on the basis of a PC sniper program; not a lucky bid.

Hate bloody snipers. Nothing wrong in trying yourself, but using a PC program is cheating (sore looser typing here )

Sounds to me Greg that you got a badly aligned Troughline and decoder. Badly matched is not that good, but get them aligned or be lucky when buying the two as I was (bought from Retro Reproductions in Edinburgh) and IMHO/E the combination is magical....however the Japs are coming in a future write up for SOG...will it still be that the case that the Troughline is king ? Answer very soon...I promise....bloody Sansui not coming has buggered the schedule up.

I've been waiting now for 2 months for a Sansui tuner and I think now I have been feed a line about illness in the family etc. I spoke to a Police friend today and at the end of this week I will be passing all the details on to the police in this sellers area...my patience is over.

E-Bay is a very murky pond....don't let the 45 days expire...no matter how plausible the seller and their story is, file the claim and apologise later.

Regards D S D L
    How can you tell Neil? The winning bid is timed as being placed 17 seconds before the deadline, whereas the out-bidded bid was placed 6 seconds before the end. Mind you I have never really understood the bid record. When I 'snipe' (and I'm still not sure if it is entirely ethical), I place my bid 3-5 seconds before the end.

Anyway, £32 for a Troughline is an utter snip.

Hope you have success with your claim Neil. Have you have had any help from eBay themselves? I suppose now they have their commission, they are probably not interested.

Regards
    Last edited by Barry; 05-11-2009 at 00:24. Reason: Error in price corrected
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

Surely it doesn't matter whether you're using software or not. If you tell the software that your highest bid is £31 it can't beat a bid of £32.

You still have to make a winning bid - late or not.
    Or do I misunderstand it completely?

Serious bidders at real auctions go in hard, late in the game too. You assess what the thing's worth to you & bid accordingly, never allowing yourself to be fooled into exceeding that limit.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    How can you tell Neil? The winning bid is timed as being placed 17 seconds before the deadline, whereas the out-bidded bid was placed 6 seconds before the end. Mind you I have never really understood the bid record. When I 'snipe' (and I'm still not sure if it is entirely ethical), I place my bid 3-5 seconds before the end.

Anyway, £31 for a Troughline is an utter snip.

Hope you have success with your claim Neil. Have you have had any help from eBay themselves? I suppose now they have their commission, they are probably not interested.

Regards
    Not interested. Over the 45 days tough. They did give me some details on the guy. I have his home telephone number and a mobile now. I want to be wrong about this being a con, but I have been promised the tuner now for 3 weeks. I was to ring when I got it I allowed a week (no tuner)and rang the mobile 4 times now and only get the answer machine. I left a message at his home number this morning no call all day.

I will try again tomorrow.

This dates back to just before I went on holiday.

Edit...I have been able to report it as a possible fraudulent listing...only thing I seem to be able to do after 45 days (E-Bay automation very restrictive) We shall see what they have to say.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 05-11-2009 at 14:19.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Surely it doesn't matter whether you're using software or not. If you tell the software that your highest bid is £31 it can't beat a bid of £32.

You still have to make a winning bid - late or not.
    Or do I misunderstand it completely?

Serious bidders at real auctions go in hard, late in the game too. You assess what the thing's worth to you & bid accordingly, never allowing yourself to be fooled into exceeding that limit.
    That would be the way I would do it, but as my max these days is a few quid...I loose lots of times.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Sounds to me Greg that you got a badly aligned Troughline and decoder.
    No, not the case. The Troughline was at the time recently professionally serviced and aligned. I did some consultation with the decoder maker and made some recommended modifications which brought improvement but basically it remained a poor performer in comparison to other stuff out there. It's probably about the poor signal sensitivity of the Troughline although I have a big aerial in a good reception area. Regardless, I had to concede that the Creek did a better job. Noel Keywood has a history of advocating tuners that don't always work well. He also rated the NAD 402 for ages which frankly, can't hold a candle to the Creek.

Regards,

Greg

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    No, not the case. The Troughline was at the time recently professionally serviced and aligned. I did some consultation with the decoder maker and made some recommended modifications which brought improvement but basically it remained a poor performer in comparison to other stuff out there. It's probably about the poor signal sensitivity of the Troughline although I have a big aerial in a good reception area. Regardless, I had to concede that the Creek did a better job. Noel Keywood has a history of advocating tuners that don't always work well. He also rated the NAD 402 for ages which frankly, can't hold a candle to the Creek.

Regards,

Greg
    Creek tuners are very good.

Your right about the Trough-Line, it is a flawed gem in terms of performance, though not sound quality. To much signal it overloads to little and it is poor in noise levels and it can drift of station too (though normally that would be the case with a bad/poorly maintained one). However its sound quality is excellent if you can pamper it.

Having played with some Jap tuners recently, it is easy to fall to the allure of easier operation and a more solid tuning ability. But the question for me is does the Trough-Line hold its own sound wise...I use mine with an EAR FM decoder. I haven't answered my question yet.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 05-11-2009 at 22:23.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nobody.

Not so cheap but these are brilliant speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Energ...item3ef9fff8b3

Closed Thread