+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shielded Earth Lead

I'm James.

Default Shielded Earth Lead

I am looking for some shielded earth leads for my SUT.

Anyone got any recommendations?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Alan.

James you don't need shielded earth leads. The lead itself will be at earth potential so shielding from any noise is not required.

Just use a standard piece of multi strand wire, 7/0.2 or 16/0.2.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    James you don't need shielded earth leads. The lead itself will be at earth potential so shielding from any noise is not required.

Just use a standard piece of multi strand wire, 7/0.2 or 16/0.2.

Thanks Alan, it was just that I was moving the earth lead around to get a good position and as soon as it went near the amp it picked up hum, moving it away reduced it.

This made me wonder if it was the earth lead that was introducing hum into the SUT and if so would a shielded earth lead solve the problem.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Sounds like you have an earth loop and a poorly shielded mains transformer in the amplifier.
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Sounds like you have an earth loop and a poorly shielded mains transformer in the amplifier.
    Thanks Barry, think your right there is no shielding of the transformer in the Croft.

How do I shield the transformer?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Thanks Barry, think your right there is no shielding of the transformer in the Croft.

How do I shield the transformer?
    If the casework of the Croft is steel, the transformer will be shielded. I'm not familiar with Croft designs, so I'll have to defer to others on this.
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If the casework of the Croft is steel, the transformer will be shielded. I'm not familiar with Croft designs, so I'll have to defer to others on this.
    Casework is thin steel but when I move the earth lead close to the preamp it causes hum in the SUT?

I'm Spartacus.

I have a similar problem with my 25 but not my 25 Basic. I've minimised hum by moving the preamp away from t/t.
    Cheers, Jeff

+ Reply to Thread