+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Definition Vinyl May Soon Be a Reality

I'm Martin.

so it isn't a replacement for the press but a new way of making a stamper.

Is how I read that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gone.

It requires digital processing of the analogue signal to produce the analogue stamper...... Might as well listen to a high res download. I don't see the point iin adding an unnecessary digital stage into the process. it's bonkers

I'm Martin.

The recording is likely to be a digital one so in that case it wouldn't matter.

In any case even if you make an analogue recording you still need to find a cutting lathe that isn't digital or you are still 'sullying' your analogue signal with an A-D/D-A loop.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Johan.

HD vinyl? Must be a joke. The analog signal is as definated it can be, if the whole cain from recording to the pressing is analog.

I'm Martin.

I think some are confused by the words 'high definition' - whilst this expression makes sense with a tv picture it doesn't make any sense with sound.

So called high definition music has bandwidth above 22 KHz - that is the only difference between 'normal def' and 'high def' music recordings. Vinyl records, due to their nature, are limited in HF response, and by that token are not 'high definition'. Cutting them more accurately will improve this and in theory allow higher frequency signals to be recorded and replayed.

In practice that is unlikely to make any discernable difference to what you hear. As the article points out it is more about improving quality control and production speed in pressing plants. The title is really just an attention grabber.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

I thought vinyl was already Super Hi Definition.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Mine is.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12