+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Higher End Speakers

I'm Adam.

Oh my, those PMCs - one of my all-time favourite loudspeakers

As to the construction on the front of the bass driver, this is an integral part of the chassis. Although, I like to think it's to stop the cone flying out and hurting you when the going gets loud...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Why has someone stuck a Halfords wheel trim over the bass unit of the PMC speakers?
    Those PMC drivers have been in production for at least 20 years ... although it is the first time I've seen them in silver.

I think the speaker has been colour schemed for a certain type of clientele!

Apparently, during the 2008 global crisis those ATCs (their most expensive speaker) experienced massive sales growth overseas.. The amps in the pro world are retailed at £5500 each (4 way amps) when sold seperately. Compared to DIY they are poor value for money but I guess in the usual world of hi-end hifi they're better value than many.

I'm gone.

I don't think much of the cheaper / smaller PMCs that I have heard (my apologies to proud owners ) but some of the Big Buggers have seriously impressed me at Shows, and not just for loudness/bass but for naturalness and subtlety, too.
    Yes, they are ugly, though! Net curtains in front, that'll do nicely

Last edited by jandl100; 16-03-2016 at 13:30.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Advent View Post
    Those PMC drivers have been in production for at least 20 years ... although it is the first time I've seen them in silver.
    They're not silver - it's a trick of the camera and they're actually a matt dark grey, if I recall correctly. The bass drivers are made to PMC's specification by Volt, in Dorset.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Advent View Post

I think the speaker has been colour schemed for a certain type of clientele!
    They may have been in production for 20 years, but I still don't like the look of them.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Deleted.

Yeah, I was just going to say the bass driver is by Volt - very high quality too - right up there with ATC. Those PMCs are aimed very much at the pro market where looks aren't much of an issue. Having said that I quite like their sheer brutality. On the other hand I've yet to hear a pair of transmission line speakers I could get on with sonically.
    Account Deleted

I'm Marc.

If we're playing 'ugly expensive speakers you'd like to hear'

My vote is for:

http://barefootsound.com/minimain12/

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Those PMCs are aimed very much at the pro market where looks aren't much of an issue.
    I dunno - THOSE PMCs look like they've been aimed at a rich domestic user with poor, garish tastes.. and then they came off their trip and thought "what was I thinking??" Hence they're for sale.

The comparison has been used before somewhere but I'm starting to see these:

I'm Deleted.

Yeah the pair in the picture do have rather an unpleasantly busy veneer on them - they do a textured black paint version that is for the studio and this seems to be the 'domesticated' version.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12