+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Advice on new power amp

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hi,

I actually got in touch with B&W a couple of days ago, spoke to a very nice chap. I explained I had a ding in the dome and he recommended a replacement at a cost of just shy of £25 inc. P&P and comprehensive layman-termed instructions. Pretty darn reasonable, acsh. I'll ca'canny* just now, and invest at a later date, as I'm not sure there's any audible reason to replace it just now. Oh, and he recommended just to replace the one, and just leave it to run in for a few hours, and it'd soon match the other.

Ta for all the info, everybody! (In the voice of Dr. Nick from "The Simpsons")

*Ca'Canny - Auld Scots: To make a wise decision. Often synonymous with "Hold your horses."
    Simon.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Well I owe everyone another big Thank You. This Creek 4040 is excellent. I've only listened to my reference tracks, but I've heard enough to know there's a definite improvement. The bass is oh-so-low and tight, and I've recovered some of the coveted mid-range I lost when I swapped out my Diamond Pros. It's a lot more detailed than the Denon, revealing the age of the audio track on my Spartacus remaster DVD.
    Unfortunately, I thought the seller was providing a DIN-RCA adapter, but in fact it was a cable so skanky I've got it an appointment on The Ricky Lake Show. It does the biz, but I'm looking forward to sourcing a reasonable adapter so I can go back to the Mark Grant cable. I can't imagine how good this'll all sound then.
    So, as with the StanDAC, so with the Creek. I have stood on the shoulders of giants and achieved greatness!
    Or simply: ta!
    Simon.

I'm notAlone.

Good buy Simon !
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Nice one Simon, I'm biased, but Creek kit is fab, IMHO, enjoy!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Ralph.

Hi Simon

The 4040 is a bit of a classic, or should be, LOOK HERE for a din-to-phono adapter.

Cheers

I'm seldomaroundnow.

REM, I made a little more in an eBay sale than I expected. Is the quality of that adapter sufficient, or would I get a better result from a dedicated cable for not too much more outlay?
    Simon.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

I decided to ask Mark Grant to quote me for a dedicated cable. Turns out there's the possibility the Mayware/Milty adapter may have issues with the Creek's recessed sockets.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456