+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: AOS-recommended SPPV products - just an idea for a sticky?

I'm Peter.

I understand the concept, but still trying to figure out what the initials SPPV actually stand for ...

Anyway ... another vote for the Klotz MC5000 interconnects.
    Also, the Jelco SA 750D is whole lot of tonearm for the money imo.

I'm Jez.

Sound Per Pound Value I presume.....

Taking into account the initial brief of the OP, which is fantastic products at amazing value for money, then my TC-7220 MKII amp/speaker selector deserves consideration as well. There are actually more owners of one of them than there are of the Bushmaster and Caiman combined.

I'm Shane.

The NVA Sound Cord Interconnects should get a position in the list. Plenty detail retrieval for beer money.

S.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Sound Per Pound Value I presume.....
    Bravo!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I got the inspiration for this idea from reading the Klotz / MS Audio thread. I'd like to start a list of products & manufacturers that produce or have designed fantastic products at amazingly good value for money. So here's my nominations

I'd like this idea to work and ultimately this thread/sticky can be seen as a reference for other AOSer's who don't want to spend stupid amounts of money on Foo.
    Endorsed by whom?

As I see it, the whole point of the forum is to discuss products and have people voice their VARIED and CONTRADICTORY opinions of them.. You can't just sum up the initial, individual's opinions of gear in threads and discard the discussion around them and then endorse it as a "summary" of SPPV. OK, well you can do that but it's pissing over everything else IMHO.

Isn't there increased danger of shilling or kickbacks from manufacturers too? How could anyone tell?

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Anything from Jez or Firebottle.

Marco.
    Err... ? How many people who've listened to Firebottle's stuff, Arkless's (that Jez?) stuff would openly dare, socially, to criticise or declare it to be rubbish on AOS?

I can't see that their gear has ever had a fair and honest scrutiny on this forum simply because of the forum suicide, rebuttle and possibilly attack that would create.. more likely that people would keep their mouths shut or say something nice out of politeness (but not necessariily mean it).

Kind of looks like just helping mates out rather than an honest appraisal of SPPV to folks outside of regular AOS usership.

Perhaps a non-judgmental list of forum user's cottage industry products is more appropriate for that if one wants to actively promote cottage industry over and above other trade member's products?

Sam, that's complete bollocks, and in a way rather insulting, as it implies disingenuousness in those here who've nominated products, as a result of what you claim as "helping mates out". I can assure you that no products listed here have been mentioned for any reason other than that they fundamentally deliver the highest SPPV!

I mentioned equipment from Jez or Alan (Firebottle), in the context of high 'SPPV', because I've heard examples of their products in my own system, and compared/scrutinised them against other kit, some from commercial manufacturers costing considerably more, so I know from personal experience how highly they deliver on the SPPV front, hence me nominating them on this thread. And that will be exactly the same with others here who've nominated products from other manufacturers.

Therefore, it's got nothing whatsoever to do with "helping mates out". Many members here (and elsewhere), after having heard Arkless or Firebottle products in their own systems, have bought them with their hard-earned cash, indeed after having heard them significantly outperform commercial products, which they were using previously. Shelling out one's hard-earned cash is the biggest endorsement of all of a product's efficacy, which certainly wouldn't have happened had the kit in question not been any good, made by "mates" or not!

As such, I would have no qualms whatsoever giving, say, £1000 of my money either to Jez or Alan, to build me an amplifier or phono stage, and knowing that what I'd get back, in terms of sonic performance, would be superior to any £1k commercial item, and more likely the equivalent of something commercially produced costing considerably more.

And their respective talents as audio engineers aside, that's simply down to the fact that because they don't have the overheads of a commercial business to pay for, they can thus afford to use higher quality components in their products; more than any commercial manufacturer would be able to do with the same given budget, which is what delivering the highest 'SPPV' is all about.

As for this:

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Advent
    Perhaps a non-judgmental list of forum user's cottage industry products is more appropriate for that if one wants to actively promote cottage industry over and above other trade member's products?
    Well, the majority of the so-called "cottage industry products" nominated and mentioned on this thread are produced by trade members, so I'm not quite sure what the point is you're making?

A core part of the AoS ethos is supporting small audio manufacturers, whose products deliver the highest SPPV, and identifying new ones when suitable candidates emerge, for the benefit of our membership, so that with their systems, they can obtain the 'biggest bang for their buck'. *That* is one of the key foundations upon which this site was built.

As such, AoS will always be much more about that, than facilitating the interests of so-called commercial high-end audio, much of which is simply audiophile jewellery or overpriced 'badge-fi' for those with more money than sense. Therefore, as far as we're concerned, long-live the deliverers of high SPPV, the products of whom have been listed here, and those aimed at genuine enthusiasts and music lovers, not simply key-janglers and badge snobs who often buy audio equipment for all the wrong reasons.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    The NVA Sound Cord Interconnects should get a position in the list. Plenty detail retrieval for beer money.

S.
    Second that. They're good value.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You need to add Mark Grant to the cables section as well.
    Indeed. The whole of Mark's product range offers very high SPPV

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast