+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DL103R in SME 3012 mkII

I'm shahrin.

Default DL103R in SME 3012 mkII

Hi All
    I have put 103R which sits in an old ADC headshell (7.5g) I am told, back into the 3012 arm.
    Decided to give it another go.
    Its tracking at 2.6 g. Generally sounds good.
    Wonder if things might be better if

1. I used a heavier headshell ?
    2. I get another weight at the back of the arm, so that there are 2 smaller weights to adjust tracking force.

the above would increase the mass of the whole assembly which keeps the 103R happy.
    Am i on the right track?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drSM; 13-03-2016 at 02:43. Reason: add
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Andrew.

I ran this combo for a few weeks before I sold my 103R and was very happy with the combination I later went onto the 103M. You need a slightly higher mass head shell, tracking at 2.4g is probably better (altough subjective) you also need to make sure the VTA is spot on. In all honesty I would speak to Marco, he's had probably every variation of the 103 over the years and messed around with them for far longer than me. Good luck.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Shahrin,

Nice TD124!

An SME 3012 is an excellent arm upon which to mount a Denon DL-103. As it's a 12" arm, and thus heavier than most 9" ones, you don't need to add as much mass as usual to the headshell of the partnering tonearm.

However, you can improve things further, which I can confirm from experience. My advice would be to purchase an Audio Technica MG10 magnesium headshell, such as this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-AUDIO-...kAAOSwHjNWBkVN

For three main reasons:

1) Magnesium (which your ADC is also made from) is one of the best materials available for damping resonance.

2) The 10g weight of the MG10 will be spot on for your needs.

3) Experience tells me (as I first started using MG10s, with DL-103s in the 1980s) that the Denon really 'likes' this headshell. Call it 'sonic synergy'.

Try it and I guarantee that you'll notice a significant improvement in performance!

As for counterweights, etc, my advice would be that what you're aiming for is to have the main one as close to the arm's pivot point as possible, thus reducing the vertical moment of inertia of the arm, and allowing it to track warps more evenly, whilst still balancing the weight of the cartridge.

Therefore, it's a matter of selecting a suitable combination of counterweights (or counterweight), which will combine to deliver that effect, especially considering that by adding more headshell mass, you're need to position the c/w further back on the arm, in order to balance the cartridge, and thus further away from the pivot point, which is the opposite of what you want, so you'll need to use a heavier counterweight.

2.6g is spot on the optimal VTF for a DL-103, with around 2.2/2.3g anti-skate.

Aside from the MG10 headshell, there are a couple of further (very effective) tweaks you can do, at relatively low cost, which will further increase performance. If you're interested, let me know

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm shahrin.

Thanks gents
    On an earlier post i mentioned i ditched the 103r for a humble Nag mp11 and one of u guys couldnt figure why!
    I ve been reading a few threads here such as the headshell for jelco somewhere here where there was some fireworks and have decided to put the 103 back in
    The other headshell i have is the perforated SME which i assume is not the best for the 103

I also learnt that a v15 iii could work good in a jelco 750 if u have the right headshell but i digress

I will get the 10g Mg shell but that could take some time and i will look at an eBayer who has some brass weights for SMEs
    Have a great week
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade

I'm shahrin.

Hi Marco
    I noticed that on another current 103R thread u suggested http://www.ebay.fr/itm/NEW-Audio-Tec...xKO&rmvSB=true
    Are these leads to put in with the 10g headshell?
    Ta
    S

Hi Shahrin,

They are indeed. I've tested about 20 different pairs of headshell leads, with a DL-103, and those, IMO, offer the most neutral and detailed presentation. They are quite superb, really, at maintaining the integrity of the signal from the cartridge.

If you're feeling particularly frivolous, I've also had superb results with these Mpingo spacers (must be the Mpingo ones, not the others), which seem to add a further layer of damping, and thus ensure less coloration of the music:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1905065282...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They simply slip between the cartridge and headshell, and weigh no more than 1g, so not liable to upset optimal mass in your application. The seller is also 100% trustworthy and efficient, as I've bought a number of them now from him.

Highly recommended, if you really want to do the job properly!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm shahrin.

Hi Marco,
    If u wanna do it, better do it properly, huh.
    Frivolity an essential ingredient
    Mpingo or panga panga?
    Oh I see now have to make a choice, so its mpingo

Mpingo's the one. When everything arrives, let us know how you get on

Marco.
    Main System

I'm shahrin.

i might be popping down to Spore soon
    Lots of HiFi there
    Aside from the ADC 10g Mg headshell is there any other particular brand with the same or similar spec that would do the job, Marco ?
    Ta
    s

Hi Shahrin,

The 10g magnesium headshell I recommended wasn't an ADC one, it was from Audio Technica: an MG-10.

There are of course many other headshells around, but few are made from magnesium (most are a type of aluminium, which I consider as inferior), so that's why I recommended the AT MG-10

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast