+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DL103R in SME 3012 mkII

I'm Russell.

Just drop a penny on it!

Kidding of course, might I suggest the Soundsmith EZ Mount Headshell Kit. (They've got them at Music Direct) but it's a set of 4 different kinds of thumb screws for mounting cartridges, Poly, Aluminum, Stainless, and Brass, from 1 gram to 6 grams.

It may not solve all of your concerns, but it may prove good fun to change the mass of the headshell and experiment with the damping of the different materials. And it won't break the bank, a good "Tweak" perhaps? And findings may steer you in the right direction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm shahrin.

Hi All
    Ah i didnt realise there were further contributions to this thread, Thanks
    I ve been collecting bits and bobs:

Nerve Audio Viscera Copper Litz Wire Headshell Leads
    MOGAMI 2844 TONEARM WIRE Ultraflex 32 awg
    Audio Technica MG-10 Magnesium Headshell
    Ebony headshell damper (Mpingo)
    Heavier brass rider weight for 3012(twice the weight of standard)
    New bearings for the 3012 II
    New belt from Turntable Basics
    Springs from Hanze to replace the motor grommets on the 124

I will replace the cool L shaped armboard that i got from eastern europe somewhere (bit thin) with the ugly oversized thick wooden Swiss one that came with the tt and arm.

Recenly did and AB test and the tt as set up right now is clearly inferior in sound quality as compared to another 124 II carrying a Graham 1.5 and Shure V15 III
    We should have that done by next weekend
    Any comments before i proceed?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Missed the recent contributions to this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPink View Post
    I will also re-iterate my preference for 2.35 to 2.4g tracking for the 103R , counter to Marco , I have experimented many times over 15 years on this and the 103R sounds dead and toneless to me at 2.6g .
    Lol... Well, you're quite right to experiment! The reality is that there is no such thing as a 'one size fits all' recommendation for anything in hi-fi, including the 'ideal' downforce for any cartridge. Remember also that when adjusting VTF, essentially you're tailoring the sound to suit your system.

Therefore, if it sounds better to you tracking a 103R at 2.35 to 2.4g (which incidentally is less than the manufacturer's recommended 2.5g), then do so.

However, I've always found that best results with any cartridge are achieved by tracking it at the upper end of the recommended range, especially as I insist on achieving secure tracking and a solid and 'effortless' sound.

The very last thing I want is to be playing some demanding music, such as highly-modulated female vocals, or the loudest crescendos during some pieces of large-scale classical music, and the sound to distort and fall apart, which in my experience can happen when too light a downforce is applied.

You might not be aware of that happening until you play a piece of music that catches out the set up of your cartridge...

So what you want is the stylus firmly planted in the groove, not skipping about the place, when the going gets tough...or damage to record groove-walls can result, and then your precious record is fooked!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Kttiong.

Quote Originally Posted by kttiong View Post
    Hi Marcos,

thanks for passing and sharing all your valuable experience in regards to sme 3012 s2 setup.

Currently, im using a sme 3012 s2 with a spu g headshell and denon dl 103. It sounds alright to me but just wondering if you have previously tried out this combo and you comment is highly appreciated.

Cheers! And a very happy new year to you.
    Sorry for the late reply. It's hard these days keeping up with all the topics started!

Lots of people have used 103s in SPU headshells (if you can get them to fit ok), with good results. However, let's remember that an SPU headshell was designed to optimise an SPU, not a 103, so for me you can do better.

Personally, I'd follow the advice I gave earlier to Shahrin, as for me, that is arguably the ultimate way of getting a 103 to sing

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    Hi All
    Ah i didnt realise there were further contributions to this thread, Thanks
    I ve been collecting bits and bobs:

Nerve Audio Viscera Copper Litz Wire Headshell Leads
    MOGAMI 2844 TONEARM WIRE Ultraflex 32 awg
    Audio Technica MG-10 Magnesium Headshell
    Ebony headshell damper (Mpingo)
    Heavier brass rider weight for 3012(twice the weight of standard)
    New bearings for the 3012 II
    New belt from Turntable Basics
    Springs from Hanze to replace the motor grommets on the 124

I will replace the cool L shaped armboard that i got from eastern europe somewhere (bit thin) with the ugly oversized thick wooden Swiss one that came with the tt and arm.

Recenly did and AB test and the tt as set up right now is clearly inferior in sound quality as compared to another 124 II carrying a Graham 1.5 and Shure V15 III
    We should have that done by next weekend
    Any comments before i proceed?
    No, just get it all fitted and up and running, and let us know how it sounds!

You'll have a lot of fine-tuning and adjusting to do before getting everything spot-on, so keep us posted how you're getting on with that, and illustrate (with good, clear, close-up pics) how things are looking when everything has been assembled.

Good luck and enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm shahrin.

I have dimantled the 3012 from the armboard and slid off all the weights and bits that come off easily.
    Taken the arm and new bits to my pal Lee but not the 124 yet.
    He is going to do the arm first.

pics show the arm as it was with new brass rider, new MG10 headshell, mpingo spacer, headshell Litz wires i got from Nerve audio off eBay
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade

I'm shahrin.

At Lee's we dismantled the arm to its component bits.
    50 year old wires in the arm were oxidised and looked crappy.
    i had a feel of the bearings x2 in the SME . Not too gritty considering age but will be replaced with new bearings from SKF.
    The knife edge on the arm wand is fine

pics show new belt, new wire from Mogami for arm, motor grommets from Hanse, pics of the old big armboard which we will refurbish and use again instead of the L shaped armboard from earlier pics which i got from Moldova and is a bit thin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm shahrin.

The upgrade is taking a bit of time as we are getting a new bronze base custom made for the SME.

I feel like sprucing up the whole tt
    Currently it sits in a plinth i made up using 3 slabs of Ikea timber kitchen table top made of beech i think.
    Its not the prettiest thing.

What is the general opinion re the use of the synthetic nterial Corian to make plinths for idlers or indeed any tt ?
    Lovely colours and designs available.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    The upgrade is taking a bit of time as we are getting a new bronze base custom made for the SME.

I feel like sprucing up the whole tt
    Currently it sits in a plinth i made up using 3 slabs of Ikea timber kitchen table top made of beech i think.
    Its not the prettiest thing.

What is the general opinion re the use of the synthetic nterial Corian to make plinths for idlers or indeed any tt ?
    Lovely colours and designs available.
    Corian should make a very dense, stable plinth. It's resonant frequency should be super high compared to wood? I use a question mark because I'm speculating. But lack of grain and density should make a very good substance to work with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm shahrin.

Cheers Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast