+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 169 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post

Both your 1200s are working.
    Suggest you change your forum name to The Healer ... with the appropriate John Lee Hooker avatar, of course
    Well done, Stephen. Was it just that they were full of ... DUST?

I'm Stephen.

Sorry. My mistake. It's me with no room for messages.

I wouldn't like to say, Peter. I wouldn't like to say.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Is your Inbox full? Can't send a message.

Both your 1200s are working.
    Hi Stephen

Did both of them have the same fault? And does the broadcast one sound different from the standard one? When I compared them I remember thinking that they were noticeably different but memory can be a bugger.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Stephen.

Yes, Martin. Both had the same fault (!). I sent a message, but it seems to have got lost. I'll send another.

Stripped and cleaned the Broadcast one and replaced the function switches as a few were faulty, today. Gave it the better control panel from the Standard one - and it's still working.

The two do sound different. The Broadcast version has better spatial clues, better start/stop and drive. On the other hand, on some tracks the Standard version sounds cleaner and clear. Having said that, listening to the Broadcast one just now after putting it back together, it does sound cleaner than previously. I don't know if that's down to renewing connections or just the mains quality. It does vary quite a bit, making it difficult to judge.

Oh, the output on the one you have might be down with using the remote when I was looking at it. I might have lowered the output by accident I didn't think to check the output level before you got it. I'll send a remote and you can check.

I'm Martin.

Good to know I was not imagining the Broadcast one being better or that the output on the one you sent over seemed a little low Better than it being too high though. Have you determined what it is in the circuit that makes the difference in sound quality?

Looks like there is a common failure point on these units that is nothing to do with the laser or transport as people seem to assume. Probably true of lots of flagship players of all makes that have been wastefully binned because people think the laser wears out like a stylus on a record player - the internet has a lot to answer for LOL. These things are not the usual disposable consumer crap, they deserve to be kept in service as true classics.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Stephen.

The main board on the Broadcast version is neatly laid out and uses less components:

On the other hand, the Standard version is more scrappy and uses secondary boards for motor and another for laser switching, and uses more components:

Hardly surprising they sound different. Similar levels of differences can be had though by recapping the power supply/DAC panel or changing the resistors.

I replaced the capacitors on the motor panel that had started to leak and eventually would have caused it to fail.

It reads discs and stops really fast. Oh, and no one had looked at it previously. Bit of a novelty.

I'm Grant.

quite a difference
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

So the bloke who said there was no significant difference between the broadcast and the standard either knew nothing or was fibbing. Good to know my ears were not deceiving me. It was far and away the best CD player I have had in my system, and that is out of at least a couple of dozen. It embarrassed, and I'm not exaggerating, the Cambridge Azur 840C with all of its fancy upsampling circuitry. Mind you the Parasound CDPi1000 does that too and it was only £40 used. What a hobby this is.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Stephen.

I think I might have said that! Suppose it depends on how much emphasis you place on significant.

I think there was something like 5 or 6 different versions. Don't know how the others differed.

I'm Martin.

I think there was something like 5 or 6 different versions. Don't know how the others differed.
    Ah! the plot coagulates. The Japanese do like to continually tinker with their products I suppose.

To my mind if I hear a difference and then it turns out there are differences in the circuitry it is cased closed. I guess I am meaning 'significant' difference as my having a clear preference for one over the other.

Replied to your PM btw
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread