+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Martin.

Not even the broadcast version.

Just having a listen to this one Stephen sent me now. So different from my Parasound! No wonder people's opinion of digital audio varies so widely. Always amazes me when I swap CD players, the quality may not vary that much between similarly priced players, but the presentation of the music can be so different that it's scary.

This one seems to be getting better as time goes on / I am acclimatising to how it sounds as time goes on (delete as appropriate)

Doesn't sound how my broadcast one used to sound, except for that 'weight' behind the sound, although I have changed almost the entire rest of the system since then so who knows?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Can't recall what I paid for my Techie 1200 CDP on eBay --- about £250, I think?
    I enjoyed it a lot. Lots of heft, a very 'solid' sound, and the rez () was pretty good if not exceptional.

I'm Martin.

I think the broadcast has more rez than the standard one. Although I think it was Tony C reckoned that electronically there was no reason for that to be so. Could be mis-remembering that. Didn't he mod your one Jerry?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm gone.

Yes, he did.
    A decent but not earth-shaking improvement. I must admit I am struggling now to recall what aspects of the sound improved! - but I was happy enough with the mods at the time.

I'm John.

If this is the same player Stephen had at NEBO I thought it sounded like a "broadcast" sound ( I know you're referring to the model with the XLRs Macca). It didn't highlight *one* particular frequency but them ALL. EVERYTHING sounded spot lit. Steve the Progmeister agreed and commented it was like listening to an FM broadcast.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    If this is the same player Stephen had at NEBO I thought it sounded like a "broadcast" sound ( I know you're referring to the model with the XLRs Macca). It didn't highlight *one* particular frequency but them ALL. EVERYTHING sounded spot lit. Steve the Progmeister agreed and commented it was like listening to an FM broadcast.
    Same player. Peter (Petrat) said the same, sounds like Radio 2. Completely agree. It's enjoyable and non-fatiguing but doesn't have that Radio 3 SQ. This is not the broadcast variant though. I think Stephen has tried various mods but have lost track of what he ended up actually doing to this one.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Stephen.

The main difference between the two types is that the Broadcast version has the extra balanced circuit panel:

The two main boards have some differences also. So any differences in sound between the two will be in the digital domain on the main boards as both have the same power/DAC panel.

I just repaired the fault and left it at that, as it sounded pretty good as it was. I tried all sorts with another, but found it difficult to come to any real conclusions due to the varying mains quality which I have.

Just got another one from Italy:

Looks pretty good. Going to try an outboard clock and Lampizator output stage and DC blocker on it..

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

indeed itdoes.. good luck and keep us posted.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Looks minty
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Same player. Peter (Petrat) said the same, sounds like Radio 2. Completely agree. It's enjoyable and non-fatiguing but doesn't have that Radio 3 SQ.
    You could get it to sound that way though, with the 'extra rez' you desire, whilst still retaining, and indeed building on, the sonic qualities that you currently enjoy. It's simply a matter of giving the player to someone who knows how to go about that and achieve it.

That's the tricky bit though, as Mark (from Audiocom), who did such sterling work on my Sony CDP and DAC, I believe no longer modifies vintage players (or indeed any at all), as he's moved away from that market.

Doesn't mean it can't be done though, although it would take you working closely with someone who knew fundamentally how to get the most from CD, and could 'tune' your Technics player, through judicious component selection, to deliver the sound that you wanted. It's not rocket science, however, for anyone with a sound understanding of digital technology.

Resolution would be improved by employing the use of a well-designed and implemented re-clocking circuit, as it would address jitter, as would re-capping key parts of the output, where electrolytic capacitors, long past their sell-by date, will be colouring the sound, all of which will improve 'rez', without fundamentally changing the sonic signature of the player, and there are other things you could do, too.

It's all moot though, if you're enjoying it as it is, and of course how much time and/or money you were willing to throw at any program of modifications.

I spent nearly £2.5k on modding the Sonys, and they cost me as much again, when I bought them second hand, but *so far* I've yet to hear anything else that's able to reproduce CD in such a way that one can genuinely hear its true potential, and with it, digital at its very best.

I fully believe that your 'Techy', with the right treatment, would be capable of similar performance

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread