+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The opening bars had me raising an eyebrow.
    That has to be the Macca equivalent of a jandl100 jaw dropping.

Here's a pic of the wee beastie that Martin has on loan. It's the bigger wee beastie, the wee-er beastie on top is a power-DAC that is also rather interesting.

And yes, I now have the latest/greatest version of the DAC and it is even better than the one Martin has.
    Although not quite as good as my new NOS TDA1543 DAC!

I'm Martin.

Listening to some Steely Dan ('Gold') had to check to see that I did have the tube output switched out because there is a definite hint of valve in the sound. Some slight softness and some slight euphony in the bass...weird.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    That has to be the Macca equivalent of a jandl100 jaw dropping.

Here's a pic of the wee beastie that Martin has on loan. It's the bigger wee beastie, the wee-er beastie on top is a power-DAC that is also rather interesting.

And yes, I now have the latest/greatest version of the DAC and it is even better than the one Martin has.
    Although not quite as good as my new NOS TDA1543 DAC!
    seen those dac3's. seems to be a wide range of prices from same seller and no shot of the back etc. I guess there is some sort of disinformation about them. Look sweet tho.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    seen those dac3's. seems to be a wide range of prices from same seller and no shot of the back etc. I guess there is some sort of disinformation about them. Look sweet tho.
    They are sweet things. I'd been curious about the eBay listings for over a year before I finally succumbed to temptation.
    It is curious about no rear photos on eBay - but it's fine - USB, RCA and optical inputs, 1 set stereo outputs.
    Fantastic sound.

I'm Martin.

Yes there is the same thing on offer in at least 3 different names. It has internal power btw so uses a proper mains lead.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm sorted.

the wee-er beastie on top is a power-DAC that is also rather interesting.
    Got one of those SMSL boxes doing TV sound duty with a pair of control ones, very good.

I'm Grant.

They are sweet things. I'd been curious about the eBay listings for over a year before I finally succumbed to temptation.
    It is curious about no rear photos on eBay - but it's fine - USB, RCA and optical inputs, 1 set stereo outputs.
    Fantastic sound.

so was yours the 150£ or the £350 version. I take it they run on batteries.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    so was yours the 150£ or the £350 version. I take it they run on batteries.
    They are the same thing, Grant.
    The designer / seller sets a "RRP" of £350, but then also sells them on auction starting at £140 or so. I took the latter route!

Yes, they are battery powered, charged via the USB input. There is also a power socket for an appropriate external PSU (not supplied with the unit). I've only tried it on battery power so far.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Listening to some Steely Dan ('Gold') had to check to see that I did have the tube output switched out because there is a definite hint of valve in the sound. Some slight softness and some slight euphony in the bass...weird.
    This DAC is now on its way to the new owner so have switched back to my Parasound CD player

The Parasound in some respects sounds almost crude in comparison, although it does not have that softness in the bass that, for me, was the Achilles heel of the Xiang. Playing 'Gold' again the sound was much smoother and bass guitar notes are more solid and defined but deffo lacking some of the open, sparkly sound of the Xiang. For example on CCR's 'Have You Ever Seen The Rain' the cymbals at the end are clearly intended to sound like rain. In years of listening to this song I have never noticed that, the Xiang made it obvious.

On the flip side, bass issues apart, I found it quite hard to relax to the sound of the Xiang. There was no audible distortion but there was an overall 'edginess' to the sound that, ultimately, I couldn't live with.

This might account for the liveliness of the sound, a little low level distortion can do that. Some may argue it is a small price to pay but I like my sound to have that 'relaxability' factor and I'm happy to trade a little perceived 'rez' in order to have that. All horses for courses.

Given more time I could have tried some different transports and also using the DAC as a pre-amp direct into the power amp, perhaps that would have resolved the issues? I don't know, but I suspect they are integral to the DAC.

Thanks again to Jerry for the loan.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Peter.

Never mind ... you'll have a working Technics SL-P1200 cdp tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread