+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I have a new design in mind which coincidentally will use 30mm acrylic as the baffle.
    Do it!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I was at that Nebo Martin , and Gordons system was indeed a bit special . Probably cost a lot of money though , and a lot of time to out together .
    Actually for the performance level the cost was peanuts in relative terms. Although he did build the speakers himself, which would be beyond me.

This bloke has done similar for just a couple of hundred quid, although he did write his own software, that only saves the price of the DSP unit, (a few hundred): https://therationalaudiophile.wordpr...m/the-project/
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

will do when I get the time. Need to find a CNC place locally that can cut with a water jet. Don't want to do the driver cutouts by hand, would look too messy.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Actually for the performance level the cost was peanuts in relative terms. Although he did build the speakers himself, which would be beyond me.

This bloke has done similar for just a couple of hundred quid, although he did write his own software, that only saves the price of the DSP unit, (a few hundred): https://therationalaudiophile.wordpr...m/the-project/
    The miniDSP unit I use is only 500 dollars Martin.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

The miniDSP unit I use is only 500 dollars Martin.
    Indeed. It will be next year's project for me. If I can get it working well with the IMFs will then look at building some custom speakers for it. They will be a three way with 18'' bass drivers and about the size of a JBL 4365. Sealed box, though, not open baffle.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

My copy arrived yesterday so I stuck it on eager to see how close I have got to the reference.

And the answer is... not very close. It does sound good, impressive even, but it is still short in terms of clarity, and as for the holographic imaging, where you can 'see' the venue and the performers, forget about it. Not there at all. I mean obviously there is a stereo soundstage, but it is not even close to holographic. Damn. Back to the drawing board.
    You want Jeff Beck in the room?
    Sell the hifi and buy a guitar

I'm Grant.

will do when I get the time. Need to find a CNC place locally that can cut with a water jet. Don't want to do the driver cutouts by hand, would look too messy.
    Biggish sign company may have one. Company i once worked for did.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye good shout, will have a nose around.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

Had Peter (Petrat) round here this morning, he brought me a geetar (which I might show you tomorrow if you are all good).

Anyway long story short he had a bit of a listen to it, (which is probably slumming it a bit for him given what he uses himself); He reckoned the ported bass is the weak point ( 'a bit soft and fuzzy)', and that the lack of holographic imaging could be down to the lack of bass below 40 HZ (the port being tuned quite high, meaning bass rolls off fast after 40 Hz) and that a proper sub that will do 20 Hz would help retrieve the ambient cues lurking in the deep bass.

He makes a very valid point I think. It doesn't actually matter if there are musical frequencies down there on the recording, it still affects the illusion of reality.

I have all the bits to build such a thing lying about, might think about it.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Tune the port to a lower system resonance. Make it narrower or longer. It can be done as a reversible measure.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread