+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 171 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Geoff.

I don't know what speaker cables you are using Martin, but if you go for a change, I'd avoid solid cored and plated cables. Pure copper multi strand is usually a good bet if you want to avoid a top end that draws attention.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

We're in the same boat Martin. It's a system matching/synergy thing. When I swapped in a diffent pre/power the other night my speakers suddenly were perfectly voiced. If you can't get it right with cables and you're keeping your sources then you'll have to change pre or power if the JM Labs are to stay I should think.

Then that album that sounds good now will be a complete bass monster!

That's my experience anyway for what it's worth.

I'm Martin.

Just so happens that is what I have. The old Cable Talk 3 from the 1980s, copper muti-strand. But it really should not make a blind bit of difference so I'm loath to even bother swapping it out.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Speaker cables make a huge difference.....sometimes. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Are you running pure copper interconnects? That could make a difference. It certainly does in my system.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Well, if you and your pro mate think you have very realistic bass and you seem to think it's the best you have ever had on acoustic music where there is a reality to compare it to .... then your previous aggregate of speakers is a bit irrelevant.

Perhaps what you need is an equaliser so you can boost the bass when you want more welly than is strictly accurate.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    We're in the same boat Martin. It's a system matching/synergy thing. When I swapped in a diffent pre/power the other night my speakers suddenly were perfectly voiced. If you can't get it right with cables and you're keeping your sources then you'll have to change pre or power if the JM Labs are to stay I should think.

Then that album that sounds good now will be a complete bass monster!

That's my experience anyway for what it's worth.
    Can't be my amplification since that is textbook. But, I have heard speaker cable make a difference in the past so I suppose that is worth a try. As you say, if it works the bassy stuff will get bassier - that will be interesting.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alan.

My money is on room interaction, but don't worry I'm on my second beer so it might all be tosh.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    My money is on room interaction, but don't worry I'm on my second beer so it might all be tosh.
    Swine, I'll be catching you up when I get home. Been a hell of a day. My first thought was a room node/suckout but my room is big enough that should not be an issue above 30 Hz and as I said, bass lines play up and down the scale evenly, no boom or missing notes.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Geoff: Interconnects are NVA because I've tried loads with the amps and, although mostly the differences were barely audible,they were the Goldilocks. Speaker cable is Chord Odyssey 2 which I've had years and cost an arm and a leg. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have spent that kind of cash on cable but they have worked well with all sorts of amp speaker combos over the last decade, so no major regret.

Jerry - I have a decent Sansui EQ unit I could put in. But that's desperate stuff.

Grant: My experience with speaker cable is that (assuming it isn't weird) it only makes a big difference if something else is wrong. Exception to that was NVA LS5 which was like adding a sub when I used it with my KEF Calindas, and with no downside.

Anyways home now and put on a live recording, Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughn. This is phat in the bass on every other speaker I have, on these it just sounds balanced, not phat or light. Starting to lean toward's Jerry's diagnosis that the speakers are truthful to the recordings, and I just like phat bass.

As an example the Edingdale speakers (which I know a lot of you have heard/owned/own and are not far off the JM Labs in size and presentation) sound a bit more fruity in the bass. Not a lot, just a welcome touch.

Maybe I should just live with the truth. I mean that is supposed to be the whole point. High Fidelity. At least until I get the full digitally active system sorted anyway. Then I can set my levels exactly how I want them and bollocks to the truth.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread