+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 169 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Martin.

I suppose it is more sponge than foam. It's fixed in so I won't mess with it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

And so to Sunday and with so many chores to accomplish I will put them off by writing this situation report instead.

Marco came round in the week for a listen. Like me he isn't really the greatest fan of contemporary WAF tower speakers and on the whole he preferred the Akai 'tea chests' to the ultra-modern JM Labs. The JM Labs are all about detail, or 'rez' as Jerry calls it. The Akais paint in broader strokes. Neither is really right or wrong, just personal taste and expectations.

Having said that we had a listen to the Stooges album (vinyl) Marco had just bought and it was quite an impressive sound, no nastiness anywhere, clean, clear, slightly sweet but also quite analytical and 'studio control room' sounding. Bit of a shock for me but I have not really had a proper listen to the turntable since Marco set it all up a couple of months back.

To confirm to myself this wasn't a one-off I had a long vinyl session (6 hours!) on Friday night which was highly enjoyable. I quite like the extra 'rez' on offer over the Akais as it draws my attention more to the music. I got the impression that I was now getting the benefit of the quite expensive cartridge, especially noticeable with the top end such as snare strikes and cymbals which were properly resolved. Actually a little better than the digital front end(s) - oops! -

Conclusion - the MP50 was probably overkill for the Akais, a cart with more balls and less finesse would be a better match for them. In any case it has got me thinking again about doing some mods to the Technics SL1200 since I think the system is now able to exploit the benefits.

Oh no! I really didn't want to get dragged further into the vinyl game, in fact have been trying to plan a way out for a while. That isn't going to happen now, the vinyl is staying. Moreover this being Sunday afternoon (and when better?) my plan is to fully sort through my collection, consign all the dross to storage and separate the stuff I have cleaned from the stuff that needs cleaning. And maybe even clean some of it if I have time. Then some listening (with some beer) later on

I have about 50 albums I bought over two years ago still sat where I plonked them when I got in, waiting to be scrubbed up on the Moth. This will all now happen. Not sure if I have seen the light or just a rosy glow but there is more joy in heaven etc...
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Brian.

Hah ! I've been smitten by this Lenco GL75 too mate and I know how you feel . Enjoy your afternoon
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gary.

Vinyl's the way to go Martin, you know it makes sense.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Brian, I am at the same time gutted and quite happy.

Started buying records in '83 so have a lovely collection, many of them early or first pressings, and I don't have many re-issues except the odd CBS 'Nice Price' effort; no modern re-releases except one. Really need a sort through and a bit of organization and thinning out. It has been neglected far too long.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Vinyl's the way to go Martin, you know it makes sense.
    No, it makes no sense at all, but when did that ever matter in this game?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Made start. Here is the entire collection. Not sure how many, maybe 400 albums? Not huge but at least it is manageable.

And sorted:

Pile on the left is already cleaned and in new inners. The two piles on the right all need cleaning. Twice as much as the already clean pile. That's a lot of cleaning to do. Smaller pile at the back is the dross. Crap I will never listen to plus a few that are badly scratched or have damage (like the original pressing of the Nightfly for which I paid top dollar and has groove damage towards the end of side one and on side two). Two copies of Gaucho, both knackered, and some that are fine but I will never play as they are a bit crap.

Found loads of records I have never listened to, and plenty I don't recall buying. Didn't realise I had so many Average White Band albums. Not sure where they all came from.

Time for a cup of tea then may have a crack at cleaning a few gems.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Nice to see piles of Vinyl, I bet you have some treasures in there. I can see a few for a start! Enjoy.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm joe.

Last night I dusted off some vinyl for the first time in ages. A revelation was Elvis Presley's The Sun Sessions, an RCA re-issue from the mid-70s. From memory, it was a bit thin and lacking bass, but so much for memory. It was shockingly good, a full-bodied mono sound with ample bass, and Elvis right there in the room (this was from his younger, thinner days, so there was plenty of room for him). Dylan's 'Bringing It All Back Home' was less revelatory. Another 70s reissue, but one I've played relatively recently and am thus more familiar with.

But I too need to have a cull, because there's lots of LPs I know I'll never play again, and they're just cluttering the place up.

+ Reply to Thread