+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 169 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Martin.

Default Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I've decided to start a new thread as the old one was getting a bit long and rambling.

Plus I have entered a new era and have the lash-up sounding pretty good. good enough that I have actually - gasp - been buying some new music to listen to, instead of playing the same old stuff trying to work out the problems.

This is the first time since 1995 that I have actually been reasonably happy with the sound of my system.

Anyway this morning I am in a hi-fi shop!

Or am I? No, it is just my living room and loudspeakers are piling up.

On the stands are the B&O MC120.2 that I have just acquired. What a great speaker these are, a total cut above. I like 3 way speakers and I like mid-range domes so thought I would have a try of them. As I'd hoped they are capable of doing that out of box imaging thing, hanging a big soundstage that you can watch like you are watching a film. This is the thing I like about the Akais (also pictured) - you forget that you are listening to loudspeakers altogether.

The B&O do not have the same dynamic freedom as the Akais, since they are significantly smaller, but there is not a massive difference. And they won't play at the same SPL without complaining either, but they are sufficient for any reasonable listening level.

As you might expect they are a little more 'refined' than the Akais, which can spit a little with high-octane rock music. The B&O are smoother, but just as open in the mid and top, bass being just a little on the warm and rich side of tight and neutral. Imagine ATC crossed with Harbeth (if you can!) and you sort of have the character of these speakers.

Since all of my quality speakers are vintage, or need work (like the big IMFs also pictured) I wanted a modern-ish speaker to give me a second opinion on the rest of the system. I did have a listen to Alan's B&W 602 that he kindly brought over a few weeks ago but this gives me the chance for a longer comparison.

The verdict? As I said at the start it is sounding pretty good. No real foibles in the sound. Sins of omission I can live with but not sins of commission. I can't hear any sins of commission here. Could things be better on the amp and source side? Well possibly, I suppose the CD player could be bettered and maybe the power amp, but I am not in any desperate need to upgrade them. I will abide and see what comes along that is of interest in those areas.

Back to the B&O and one point I think must be made - why buy brand new speakers when bargains like these are available on the forums for £200 that are several levels up in terms of quality over what you will get for that money even in a store that does offer good budget value like Richer Sounds?

I leave you to mull over that one.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brian.

Sounds like you're in a good place Martin .

Can you get them all into Marcos car and bring them to NEBO so we can all have a listen .

Are you coming to the next NEBO BTW ?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

Quite a collection there Macca... That pic makes the Akai drivers look enormous
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Hi Brian - yes I hope to make it. Depending on Marco's plans I was thinking about bringing the Akais but I suppose both they and the B&O together would be possible. The IMFs are a bit big, although I hope to have them fixed by then. If Marco can't make it I may well still come up on the train but then hauling 'speakers with me will be out of the question
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Quite a collection there Macca... That pic makes the Akai drivers look enormous
    15 inches of goodness! There is no substitute if you want that truly effortless sound. I still use them with a subwoofer, though!
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    15 inches of goodness! There is no substitute if you want that truly effortless sound. I still use them with a subwoofer, though!
    Bass fiend!
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Hi Brian - yes I hope to make it. Depending on Marco's plans I was thinking about bringing the Akais but I suppose both they and the B&O together would be possible. The IMFs are a bit big, although I hope to have them fixed by then. If Marco can't make it I may well still come up on the train but then hauling 'speakers with me will be out of the question
    Hopefully see you there again mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Bass fiend!
    It's still toytown bass compared to the IMFs - as are most speakers I suppose. You do get the slam from those fifteens, though, which the B&O speakers just don't do. But the B&O are so beautifully sweet. My test album for 'beauty of the sound' is Jethro Tull's 'A Little Light Music' which is a compilation of semi-acoustic live sets. They totally ace this recording, sounds delightful. If you could combine the best bits of the three 'speakers in the photograph, you'd be close to perfect.

Brian - yes, I look forward to seeing you again buddy
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Martin. The 'spit' you mention with the Akais, is a characteristic of that silver horn tweeter. I've used a few pairs of those in the past, still have a pair actually. Those I've had have carried the Eagle brand, HT21 model. Made by Coral I believe. Reducing the output might clean things up.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Looking good Martin and I'm glad the B&Os are hitting the spot.

I sort of thought they would

Just been looking at the internal photos I took of your Akais. With the comments made about the silver horns you could try just disconnecting them (the blue wire) and see what you think. The other tweeters would still be connected and you could always then re-adjust the treble level control.
    Last edited by Firebottle; 12-03-2016 at 12:00. Reason: Akai comment added.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 169 1231151101 ... LastLast