+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 169 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Martin.

No, I only get the weekend off. If I want a weekday I have to book it as leave and I've got none left between now and January. So would have to be a Saturday or Sunday, if you can do it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Am happy to cast an ear also as you aren't that far from me either. Sometimes it's all in the mind.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    You are welcome anytime, Oliver.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You are welcome anytime, Oliver.
    Sweet, I'll let you know when I have some days and we can pick one.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Okies, as I'm probably the most free with my time, it's best if you guys propose the date. November's liable to be fairly busy for me, so I'd prefer to do it this month, and not this weekend, which leaves the following one. Saturday 28th Oct would be best.

But if it has to be November, I'll try and squeeze something in!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Okies, as I'm probably the most free with my time, it's best if you guys propose the date. November's liable to be fairly busy for me, so I'd prefer to do it this month, and not this weekend, which leaves the following one. Saturday 28th Oct would be best.

But if it has to be November, I'll try and squeeze something in!

Marco.
    Ah, struggling with October but leave it with me.

No worries, matey.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Krell has got a rep for "slam, bam, thank you, ma'am" .... but I've had 4 Krell amps and only one did the slam thing, mind you that one was awesome and the best I have heard in that aspect of sound! - a KAV250a power amp.
    The others -- a refurbed original KSA50 power amp which if anything was a bit soft and polite, a 300i integrated which was perhaps a bit short of half way there and a 400xi integrated which took half a pace back again.

So whilst some Krells can certainly deliver that aspect of sound I would regard it as far from certain to do the slam thing just cos it's got a Krell badge on.

Real "slam" is actually very rarely had, ime, and it comes down to the amp. If the amp can't do it (and most can't) then it just ain't gonna happen.

I'm Neil.

Default Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

Agree, a lot of Krell is actually on the warm side. Big, rich and bold, but not necessarily the quickest, which is what determines slam.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Real "slam" is actually very rarely had, ime, and it comes down to the amp. If the amp can't do it (and most can't) then it just ain't gonna happen.
    Amp, and also its relationship with the partnering speakers, Jerry [the two work in unison], as you ain't gonna get much slam with ANY amp, if on the end there are simply a pair of diddy-sized 'squawk boxes'!

"Slam" is largely (but not all) to do with shifting air. And there is no shortage of it my system...

We'll see whether we can introduce more into Martin's.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    "Slam" is largely (but not all) to do with shifting air. And there is no shortage of it my system...
    Well, no, one of those quite rare occasions when I disagree with you, Marco.

It's about control as well as air volume being shifted.
    I've heard many a large driver sound soft and mushy and some quite small drivers sound nicely slammy when suitably amped.

+ Reply to Thread