+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 169 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What interconnects are you using Martin? They can make a big difference.
    They were selected after a lengthy trial process, I don't reckon so. Not impossible but way down on the list of possibles.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I use a variety of interconnects. Nordost if things need livening up with a bit more clarity, Cardas or Audio Note if I want a calmer sound. And others.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I've just dipped into this thread, after not having visited it for a while, and am sorry to hear, mate, that you're struggling again with your system...

Just to pick up on something... You said that the "crunch" was back after fitting Geoff's speaker jumpers, and as far as I can see you haven't changed anything else since then, so how come the "crunch" has now gone?

To my ears, your system has never lacked any "crunch", and that was before the Krell arrived and doubtless other things you've done to your system since the last time I was down.

The 'politeness' you're hearing with the Sony player is 100% correct, as that tends to be their 'house sound', especially vintage ones, if you don't mod them (update them with some new components). Mine was rather like that too, until it (and the DAC) were suitably 'pimped', and having heard them both, I'm sure you'll agree the mods have sorted out any 'politeness'!

I'm afraid that this is the problem with buying well-regarded vintage gear and kind of expecting it to instantly blow you away...

Out with of speakers, it rarely happens, as tired caps and resistors, no longer performing to spec, in key parts of the signal path, will need replacing [they may even have deteriorated further since you've been using them], and I'm almost certain that this will be a major source of the disappointing sound you're currently experiencing.

Therefore, you need to address that issue, ASAP [the Krell may also need re-capping], otherwise the lack of excitement will do your nut in. I thought you were getting some guy to do this work for you - is that still happening?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I've just dipped into this thread, after not having visited it for a while, and am sorry to hear, mate, that you're struggling again with your system...

Just to pick up on something... You said that the "crunch" was back after fitting Geoff's speaker jumpers, and as far as I can see you haven't changed anything else since then, so how come the "crunch" has now gone?

To my ears, your system has never lacked any "crunch", and that was before the Krell arrived and doubtless other things you've done to your system since the last time I was down.

The 'politeness' you're hearing with the Sony player is 100% correct, as that tends to be their 'house sound', especially vintage ones, if you don't mod them (update them with some new components). Mine was rather like that too, until it (and the DAC) were suitably 'pimped', and having heard them both, I'm sure you'll agree the mods have sorted out any 'politeness'!

I'm afraid that this is the problem with buying well-regarded vintage gear and kind of expecting it to instantly blow you away...

Out with of speakers, it rarely happens, as tired caps and resistors, no longer performing to spec, in key parts of the signal path, will need replacing [they may even have deteriorated further since you've been using them], and I'm almost certain that this will be a major source of the disappointing sound you're currently experiencing.

Therefore, you need to address that issue, ASAP [the Krell may also need re-capping], otherwise the lack of excitement will do your nut in. I thought you were getting some guy to do this work for you - is that still happening?

Marco.
    as a fellow sony owner could you expand on the upgrades please.?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Audiocom did most of the work mate, mainly in respect to re-clocking and paying major attention to the upgrading of the PSU arrangements - about £2k's worth in total. And the overall improvement was phenomenal.

However, I'm not advocating that Martin should do the same, simply that if he wants to unlock the potential of his Sony player [the latent potential in which is considerable], the first step he needs to take is replace and upgrade some of the electronics, which will be well past their sell-by date. And any competent EE could do that for him.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    Yes there is crunch and the sound is generally of a good standard. The only thing I have done is move the speakers a little. I still think something is lacking, but I've got to the point of wondering it is just me. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. I'll give it a few days and go back to it fresh.

Ironically my old system (XTZ amp and the vintage Akais) sounds really superb doing TV duties. What can you do?

As for the Sony I've got a fair few Sony players going back more than 20 years so I know the house sound. I never expected it to blow me away, it was far from a flagship player so some corners have been cut. No discrete analogue out stage for instance. It is a good player, a cut above, it is more surprising to me that the Parasound is on a par with it. Although that was not a budget player in its day, either.

Having the Krell serviced has crossed my mind and I can get it done but it is lot of cash to spend if it is not the problem. I know it is over 20 years old but I don't know how much use it has had. Cosmetically it is as new.

As for the modding/servicing the player my EE is not keen to do mods without a full guide as exactly what to do. So I need to trawl the DIY forums at some point.
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Having the Krell serviced has crossed my mind and I can get it done but it is lot of cash to spend if it is not the problem. I know it is over 20 years old but I don't know how much use it has had. Cosmetically it is as new.
    Doesn't matter mate, how little it's been used. It could've been sat in a box for all that time and never been used. Electrolytic caps will still age and drift from spec. Trust me, if you have the Krell properly serviced, it'll come back a different animal.

Only you though, can decide whether you rate the Krell sufficiently enough to spend the necessary funds... Would you like me to pop down and give you my opinion on how things are sounding and see if there's anything I can do to help first, for free, before you start throwing pound notes at the problem?

I've been wanting to hear the Krell for a while anyway!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

A second opinion would be very useful. I'm all out of ideas.
    Current Lash Up:

No worries. Is your day off usually a Monday? If so, how about a week this Monday, that's the 30th Oct?

Marco.
    Main System

Bigman80 Guest

Am happy to cast an ear also as you aren't that far from me either. Sometimes it's all in the mind.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread