+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca's Lash Up 2: Lash Harder

I'm Martin.

Was about to post in the week that I had cracked it with this set up, but I thought no, best not tempt fate.

Nevertheless as I suspected something went wrong. In this case my Parasound CD player is now being picky about reading discs. It's never been completely right, I've always thought it might have a dodgy cap or something as it starts getting a bit of roughness in the sound after a coupe of hours, but it usually only starts towards the end of a session so I live with it. But it is now mucking me about too much.

This is a huge shame as I don't have any working players that are as good. The Sony SACD player I have is okay but it puts that layer of phoney SACD 'smoothness' over everything. The Parasound gives significant extra clarity compared to it.

Otherwise everything is chipper. The JM Lab speakers have grown on me enormously, The NVA LS5 speaker cable has really sorted the bass out, It still sounds a bit 'WAF tower-ey' but that issue is now much diminished. The Krell does its Krell-thing well, still can't get it to light up or get warm though. I don't think it really notices that it has some speakers to drive at all.

More to the point the system sounds good with any type of music or recording you throw at it.

So I'm pretty much almost there as to getting the sound I've been looking for across several decades. I thought I might be onto something when I borrowed that Tisbury passive off of Jerry, but that was just the start and it has been several years between now and then.

I think if I can just get a working digital source that is equal to or better than the Parasound then you can put a fork in me because I'll be done. At the moment I'm torn between buying a top line Sony ES CD player or getting a transport and DAC. The latter would open up the exciting world of DAC box-swapping, but where to even start? Plus at the moment I only have 2 powered components in the system, so no need to use a mains block. CD player seems like the 'tidier' solution.

Went a bit mad with the budget last year in the name of 'lashing harder' but it does seem to have paid dividends. So budget limited to about £500 tops for this, and could do with getting it right first time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

DAC.
    Right 1st time.

Here ya go http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2724454149...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

After literally years searching for my perfect DAC up to £2k rrp, I settled on that one for the last 18 months or so. I don't even bother to look seriously at anything else anymore. It just nails it for me.
    Available in silver or black.

Get a Pioneer DV717 or similar as a transport.
    Sorted.
    £250 or so the lot, max.
    -- well, it's worth a decent digital cable for another £20 or so. I'll be happy to recommend summat.

I'm Martin.

Seems to be a DAC and a pre-amp. I guess the preamp can be switched out of circuit?

Still would have the transport to consider. I've got a DV717, it is okay but did not especially impress me as a transport into an XTZ integrated and a Sony AV amp. And I'm inclined to think that the transport matters as much, if not more than the DAC. What are your thoughts on that? I've got a QS Sony with fixed laser mech that is better than most as a transport. Not that the actual disc reading element matters that much, in theory at least. But there is other stuff going on in a transport in any case.

Will keep it under consideration, thanks man.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm gone.

That DAC sounds amazing even with its on-board pre - I use it as is.

The DAC is more important than the transport, but the DV717 or 737 are fantastic transports into a good DAC.

I'm Martin.

The pre is a deal breaker for me. I'm sticking with what I have in that regard. Since I stopped buying kit based on 'character' and started buying based on (what I think) are basic, solid audio engineering principles I've got a lot further towards what I want.

Of course that may be just coincidence.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm gone.

I use a separate pre as well - sounds much better that way.
    But I can understand if a purist would object to double-pre-ing.
    I used to be a purist.
    But I've grown up now and just judge by results.

I'm Martin.

It may not matter. Depends on how they have it configured, and if the pot is analogue or digital.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

pot is just in headphone circuit. quite fancy one myself for main system but cant quite find a good enough reason. I would like to put my big Pioneer in but its not fitting in at moment either. Think the word is Apathy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    pot is just in headphone circuit. quite fancy one myself for main system but cant quite find a good enough reason. I would like to put my big Pioneer in but its not fitting in at moment either. Think the word is Apathy
    Apathy is my default setting but I am so close now I can taste it. Why do you fancy getting one?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

was going to use it as a dac too plus a headphone amp for the vinyl. Not using a dac at moment; just my uber buffer.

this I was going to put in livingroom but needs to be on top and no room at moment so it is waiting in the wings.

while this is just for show at moment but I may move it on later

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread